The religious rulers in Yeshua’s day were like Job – clinging to self-righteousness and their authority over others by constantly passing judgment them.
“And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.” (Luke 18:9-14)
Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews, is a good case study of a man who had to choose between putting his faith in God’s Word or his own, admittedly high, standards of behavior under the Mosaic law. Nicodemus met with Yeshua / Jesus to try to negotiate a peaceful end to the growing challenge he posed to the ethnic rulers of the nation of Israel, AKA “the Jews“. He starts by trying to minimize Jesus as a mere teacher. Despite the fawning compliment, Jesus knows what’s in his heart and cuts to the heart of the matter, forcing Nicodemus to chose between 1) relinquishing his superiority complex and accepting a demotion to student with Jesus as truly rabbi / master, or 2) rejecting him.
John Chapter 3
“…a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews [think Senate Majority Leader]…came to Yahweh’s Savior / Yeshua / Jesus by night, and said unto him,
- Rabbi [possessive “My” Master], we [the ethnic therefore politico-religious rulers of the province of Judea within the Roman Empire] know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. [starting the win-win negotiation strategy with a positive – we know you are one of us]…
- Yahweh’s Savior answered…Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God…[Immediately shoots down this talking point. I am not part of your petty kingdom allied with the Roman Empire, I am in the Kingdom of God.]
- Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? [The middle part of the negotiation, the negative – establish authority. “Come on now, what you’re teaching is ridiculous.”]
- Yeshua answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. [You’re not the authority and I’m not one of you and somebody is going to walk away the loser.]
- If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not [demonstrated by rationalizing away the miracles despite their supposed Master Moses’ prophecy that another miracle-worker like him would come to lead them], how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? No man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven…
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Seed of the Woman / Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believed on him is not condemned:
- but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name [Yeshua, which defines his attributes- Yahweh’s / Creator’s Savior] of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
- For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. [Yeshua just condemned Nicodemus and the ruling Jews and negotiations failed.]” (John 3:1-20)
Yeshua gave Niodemus and his colleagues three and a half years to gather evidence regarding his claim to be Yahweh’s Promised Savior as prophecied in scripture.
Unfortunately, the rulers’ response, not just to his single, oft-repeated message, but to the proofs provided in scripture as well as in his miracles, was to reject his authority. John’s gospel, like his later Revelation, relates escalating conflict between The Seed of the Woman / Promised Deliverer / Christ and his loyal followers and the Seed of the Serpent / Antichrist and his rebels until the climax in which the winner takes all.
There is so much more than just the soft-pedaled message of chapter 3 verse 16 in John’s tension-filled account of the Messiah’s battles with the enemy. Read this like the World War documentary that it is!
John Chapter 5
“After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Yeshua went up to Jerusalem…And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years…he saith unto him…Rise, take up thy bed, and walk. And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked: and on the same day was the sabbath.
- The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed.
- He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk. [In essence, “You’re not the boss of me.” This guy knows the scriptures. You want the healing, you do what you’re told.]
- Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed, and walk? The man told the Jews that it was Yeshua, which had made him whole.
- And therefore did the Jews persecute Yeshua, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day. [That’s their justification, since they can’t very well “accuse” him of healing. This goes along the lines of “It’s not what you said (which they can’t deny was true), it’s how you said it.”)
- But Yeshua answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
- Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he…said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. [Which clearly he was in working miracles transcending humanity’s limitiation to four dimensions, just like their founder Moses, who had told them that another Prophet, just like him, would come to them in the future.
- Then answered Yeshua and said unto them, [no new idea, just a logical proof from accepted truth demonstrated in human relationships as explained in depth in the post Father Abraham] Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth / teaches, demonstrates, makes known to him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel. For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.
- For the Father…hath committed all unto the Son: That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not Father which hath sent him. [Again, no new concept. This is standard practice in passing on inheritance rights of property and authority.]
- Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
- Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
- And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of (hu)man / Seed of the Woman.
- Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
- I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
- If I bear witness of myself, my witness [by itself] is not true. There is another that beareth witness of me...ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth…He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.
- But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me. [Just like he sent their founder Moses, proven by the miracles – but mainly the plagues – heads up!.]
- And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me…ye have not his word abiding in you…Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life…
- Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words [as he quotes Moses]?
John Chapter 6
“And the passover, a feast of the Jews, was nigh…Yeshua then lifted up his eyes, and saw a great company come unto him…in number about five thousand. And Yeshua took [five barley] loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the [two small] fishes as much as they would…
- Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Yeshua did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world…
- When Yeshua therefore perceived that they would come and take him by force, to make him a king, he departed…
- the people therefore…came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus. And when they had found him…
- Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled. Labour / work not for the meat which perisheth [rebuking them for dropping everything to run after him looking for another free meal], but [work] for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed [with signet ring, authorized, guaranteed ownership].
- Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
- Yeshua answered and said unto them, [Seriously people? Were you not listening at all when I preached all day yesterday?? Deep sigh…] This is the work of God, that ye believe on him he hath sent.
- They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work? Our fathers did eat manna in the desert [hint, hint, for forty years, not just one meal]; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat. [So if you are like Moses feed us again!]
- Then Yeshua said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father [who also] giveth you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world…I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger [unlike the Israelites who went out daily to collect more manna]; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst [unlike the Israelites who were always in need of fresh water]. But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.
- For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will [unlike you guys who are trying to set me up as earthly king] but the will of him that sent me…And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him [as being the Promised Seed of the Woman], may have everlasting life [restored as promised]: and I will raise him up at the last day [when death therefore time is ended].
- The Jews then murmured at him, because [picking for a rationale because the real reason is that he’s not letting them control him] he said, I came down from heaven. And they said, Is not this Yeshua, the son of Yusef, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?
- Yeshua therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves. No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him [through the written word, as]…It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.
- Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. I am that bread / purveyor, transformer from one carbon-based form to another carbon-based form of life. Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead [so don’t you get it that it is pointless for me to simply feed you more earthly bread and fish?] This [pointing to his body vehemently] is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my [carbon-based life form of] flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
- The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
- Then Yeshua said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is [life-sustaining] food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
- Eww, gross!! as they’re all visualizing this concretely. Clearly the millennia’s-long Passover – which was nigh – had degenerated into a cultural festival and had lost its abstractly hyper dimensional purpose.
- [Deep sigh, explaining the abstract hyperdimensional concept here] He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood [consumes, unites himself with] dwelleth [is permantly as opposed to sojourns temporarily] in me, AND I in him [the two life forms become one, like shrimp and flamingos, united by the carotenoids in the shrimp that turn the flamingos’ feathers from gray to pink]. As the living Father hath sent me, and I live [am one with, connected to] by the Father: so he that eateth [becomes one with] me, even he shall live by me…
- Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? [Bear in mind, this is a deeply literate spiritual culture understanding abstract concepts. The hard saying is not about cannibalism, but losing one’s identity and freedom of action to a totally authoritarian leader. Just when they were convinced that the Messiah was going to give them FREEDOM!]
- When Yeshua knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life….
- From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
John Chapter 7
After these things Jesus walked in Galilee [of the Gentiles]: for he would not walk in Jewry, because the Jews sought to kill him. Now the Jew’s feast of tabernacles was at hand. His brethren therefore said unto him, Depart hence, and go into Judaea…shew thyself to the world. For neither did his brethren believe in him. [Like Joseph’s brothers’, they wanted him to get rid of him, even to kill him, as proven by Jesus’ response to them.] Then Jesus said unto them, My time is not yet come [to die]: but your time is alway ready [to believe in me]. The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil. Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast: for my time is not yet full come [Jesus knew that, like Judas eventually did, they were going to turn him in to the rulers]...when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.
Then the Jews sought him at the feast, and said, Where is he? And there was much murmuring among the people concerning him: for some said, He is a good man: others said, Nay; but he deceiveth the people. Howbeit no man spake openly of him for fear of the Jews.
Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught. And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned [in our school]?…
“Then cried Yahweh’s Savior / Yeshua in the temple…[iin open challenge to the politicized and corrupt high priest and his entourage]
- Ye both know me, and ye know whence I am: [the Seed of the Woman, Yahweh’s Savior promised since Day 1]
- “And the Lord God said unto the serpent…I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed [Caesar at this time] and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.” (Genesis 3:14-15)
- and I am not come of myself…
“In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD / YHVH, make his paths straight…Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan, And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins. But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:” (Matthew 3:1-8)
“Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: [that was John the Baptist] and the LORD, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts…And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.” (Malachi 3:1-3)
- whom ye know [identify with, are in unity with] not. But I know him: for I am from him…
- as the Son, i.e. the Seed, the very image and likeness of the Father, equal to the Father. And they got the message as the progression of events shows.
- And many of the people believed on him, and said, When The Anointed One / Messiah / Christ cometh, will he do more miracles than these which this man hath done?
- “The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me [miracle-working Moses, through whom God released the Israelites from bondage to the Egyptians, the world empire at that time]; unto him ye shall hearken [respond to]…And the LORD said unto me…I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.” (Deuteronomy 18:15-18)
- The Pharisees heard that the people murmured such things concerning him; and the Pharisees and the chief priests sent [police] officers to take him…
- In the last day, that great day of the feast, Yahweh’s Savior / Yeshua / Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst,
- [you know they must have been, after standing and walking for hours in crowds] “When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue faileth for thirst, I Yahweh will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them.” (Isaiah 41:17)
- let him come unto me / Yahweh, and drink. He that believeth on me / Yahweh, as the scripture hath said [allegorically in a number of places especially Isaiah, but not quoting exactly], out of his belly [inner being] shall flow rivers of living water.
- “And Yahweh shall…satisfy thy soul in drought…and thou shalt be like a…spring of water, whose waters fail not.” (Isaiah 58:11)
- (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive:
- “Yet now hear, O Jacob my servant; and Israel, whom I have chosen. Thus saith Yahweh that made thee…I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring:” (Isaiah 44:1-3) ( for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Yahweh’s Savior / Yeshua / Jesus was not yet glorified.)
- “And ye shall know that I am / Yahweh in the midst of Israel and that I am the LORD / Yahweh your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed [let down, disappointed, hopes dashed]. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and…whosoever shall call on the name / the revealed character of the LORD / Yahweh shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance” (Joel 2:27-32)
- Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet. Others said, This is the Appointed One / Messiah / Christ…
- And some of them would have taken him; but no man laid hands on him. Then came the [police] officers to the chief priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have ye not brought him?
- The officers answered, Never man spake like this man.
- Then answered them the Pharisees, Are ye also deceived? Have any of the rulers or of the Pharisees believed on him? But this people who knoweth not the law are cursed.
- Nicodemus saith unto them, (he that came to Yahweh’s Savior / Yeshua / Jesus by night, being one of them,) Doth our law judge any man, before it hear him, and know what he doeth?
- They answered and said unto him, Art thou also of Galilee?”(John 7:28-52)
All the rulers of Judea had a choice to make – to accept Yahweh’s Savior / Yeshua as the Son of God and King of the Kingdom of Heaven and Earth, or to continue to operate in the delusion that they could be in control of their little sphere of influence on earth.
And Yeshua gave them all the evidence they needed to prove he was who he said he was. And – most importantly! – who the scriptures said he would be: The Seed of the Woman, Yaweh’s Promised Savior from the curse of sin and death.
John Chapter 8
“Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha…When Yahweh’s Savior / Yeshua heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby…he abode two days still in the same place where he was.
- Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again.
- His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews / Rulers of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?
- Yeshua answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world. But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him…
What?! Sounds like totally disorganized thinking, what psychiatry labels as “flight of ideas” no sequencing of thoughts at all. “The Jews are trying to kill you” followed by “There are twelve hours in a day.” But no. You have to keep Yeshua’s foundational message in mind, which he repeated over and over as the fundamental premise for faith in his message.
Yeshua is calming his disciples – “I still have time to accomplish my work before darkness / destruction, death has its time. This is absolutely consistent with his work recorded in Genesis 1. See the post “In the Beginning God” if this isn’t making sense to you. This is absolutely consistent with the theme of the Bible as described in this blog – Battle for Control of Creation.
Back to the Lazarus incident.
- Then said Yeshua unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; [His allotted 12 hours are running out, time for the piece de resistance, the grand finale.]
- Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him. [Yep, even Yeshua’s disciples can’t take him at his word yet, they need to see another miracle.]
- And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother. [His main audience. How Yeshua wants to convince them, because God PARTNERS with HIS HUMANS!”
- Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Yeshua was coming, went and met him: Then said Martha unto Yeshua, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. But! [That doesn’t matter because] I know [WHOM I HAVE BELIEVED AND AM PERSUADED] that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee [like the other prophets Elijah, Elisha, etc.].
- Yeshua saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. [Fact – I have the power. I don’t need to ask a higher power because I am God.]
- Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
- Yeshua said unto her, I – I! – am the resurrection, and the life – [the Promised Seed of the Woman Savior]: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
- She saith unto him, [slowly, falteringly, staring up into his intense eyes] Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.
This is it! Martha is not basing her faith on what this preacher has said, but on what the word of God says, the promise that God would send the Seed of the Woman to rescue humankind from the curse of sin and death. And this is what Yeshua is waiting for – humans to believe and receive him as the Savior of mankind.
Mankind has dominion including FREEDOM TO CHOOSE. If an individual doesn’t CHOOSE to believe, Yeshua can’t save him from the consequences of his free choice or there isn’t really freedom, right?
- And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee. As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly, and came unto him…she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
- When Yeshua therefore saw her weeping [hopeless], and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled…wept. [Is there going to be enough faith in the mix to empower a miracle? Miracles, like magic, require hyperdimensional forces to override the four dimensional laws of physics, some of which are the spiritual attributes of faith, hope and love.]
- Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?
- Yeshua therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it. Yeshua said, Take ye away the stone.
- Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.
- Yeshua saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if – IF – thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God? THEN they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid.
- And Yeshua lifted up his eyes, and said, Father [prayer, another hyperdimensional force], I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me. And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.
- And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin.
- Yeshua saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.
What greater proof that Yeshua is the Promised Savior who frees mankind from the bondage of sin and death?
His own resurrection.