Key precept: “In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” Douglas Adams
Good writing starts with a thesis on which everything else in the account rests. The Bible’s thesis is that God created everything. Every single element in the rest of the story, which builds systematically from The Beginning in Genesis through The End in Revelation, rests on this fundamental premise.
This is the only real basis for trust in his author-ity in what has been documented that he did in the past, and will do in the future. Every statement made in the Bible, every theological belief drawn from the Bible, derives its credibility (the virgin birth) and legitimacy (ye must be born again) from the first statement that God created everything.
Most of all, the claim that the God who created the entire living universe in the first place has the power to recreate it, and to resurrect individual human beings after death.
“And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea…And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. (Revelation 21:11-22:5)
So why isn’t this SuperBeing in control? you ask. Why do bad things happen? Why is there death and hell for some beings? And what’s the deal with “no more sea”?
That’s the story. Plot twists and turns.
“Every story has to have conflict. A story without conflict is boring. I don’t want to read about how someone has it all together.”
Right at the beginning of the story we discover a paradox about the Hebrew word for God that is used. “The noun Elohim is plural but it is always used with a singular verb when it speaks of the true God. This indicates a unity and diversity within the nature of God.”
Science recognizes the truth of this paradoxical unity in diversity by defining physical reality, at the simplest level, as having four dimensions – height, depth, length and time. Recent rapid expansion in scientific knowledge postulates that there are at least ten dimensions to reality.
“And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion…So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” (Genesis 1:26-27)
The statement that humans are made in God’s likeness and image gives us a clue about this paradoxical plural-unity. Humans’ three dimensions are a reflection of God’s multi-dimensional nature of
- material body that exists in space-time
- immaterial soul or personality comprised of memories and emotional responses to environmental and social experiences beginning in utero. These are generated as non-material electrical activity, and stored, by the brain’s material neurological system, but since energy cannot be destroyed, the soul survives the death of the material body as potential energy in a force field. If it is to survive intact without absorption into other energy fields, it must be stored somewhere, by some higher power.
- hyper dimensional spirit that energizes both body and soul.
“And the LORD God
- formed man of the dust of the ground
- man became a living / interacting soul
- after God breathed into his nostrils the breath of life / energizing spirit.” (Genesis 2:7)
The independent functioning of the various states of being of body, soul and spirit, while still remaining one person, should be easy to understand as experienced in our own selves. My soul desires to lose weight, but my body’s hunger controls my actions, while my spirit feels frustrated and guilty over the lack of self-control. This is described in the Bible.
“My flesh is clothed with worms and clods of dust; my skin is broken, and become loathsome…Therefore
- I will not refrain my mouth; I will speak
- in the anguish of my spirit;
- I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.” (Job 7:5-11)
Corrupted humanity experiences a disconnect between body, soul and spirit, in contrast to perfect God who experiences unity in all aspects of being. More on this in later posts.
“For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh [body],) dwelleth no good thing: for to will [soul] is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. [Think about all the New Year’s resolutions you’ve ever made. Try to lose just 2 pounds…] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do…
- For I delight in the law of God after the inward man [spirit]:
- But I see another law in my members [physical drives for sex, food, pleasure], warring against
- the law of my mind [soul’s rational desire to abstain from damaging actions],
- and bringing me into captivity to the law [of nature, inevitable effect from cause] of sin [destruction, death] which is in my members.
O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 7:18)
The material body is the least identifiable feature of a human being, changing constantly throughout life and being absorbed back into the elements of the earth at death.
“For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle [temporary dwelling, mortal body] were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands [immortal body], eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven…Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord…”(II Corinthians 5:1-8) with
“In my Father’s house are many mansions [permanent dwellings, immortal bodies]: if it were not so, I would have told you [corrected your false expectation of resurrection]. I go to prepare a place for you [unique identity in the soul]. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also [confirming ancient teaching found in Genesis 49:10]. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know [death, exiting the body and this lower dimension as per ancient teaching found in Job 19:25-27]...
“Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.” (Ecclesiastes12:7)
What happens to the soul? We know from experience that a human’s soul remains intact even when separated from the body during a coma or other altered state of consciousness, so the Bible’s claim that human souls do not dissipate into the universal energy field, but remain intact in some guarded holding place after separation from the body at death, should be believable. Or at least bears consideration and study, as this is a state of being that can’t be altered by the time it happens.
“And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and…in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said…between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.” (Luke 16:22-26)
Where is this place? As this study proceeds, we will find that this was such common knowledge among many ancient religions that it is only briefly mentioned in the Bible, whose main purpose is to correct corrupted history and knowledge of the true God.
“Jesus / YHVH’s Savior of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it. For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the LORD always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou hast made known to me the ways of life…the patriarch David…is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. Therefore being a prophet…spake of the resurrection of Christ / Messiah / Chosen One, that his soul was not left in hell…This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses…Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ / The Creator’s Promised Savior from death for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost [eternal life]. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off.” (Acts 2:22-32)
“When he [the Word] ascended up on high, he led captivity captive…Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?” (Ephesians 4:8-9)
“I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held…and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.” (Revelation 6:9-11)
Even before the New Testament statement that “the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us” (John 1:14), Old Testament depictions of God fit this model of an individual with three dimensions of body, soul and spirit.
- God’s body is what enables him to interact in the material dimension with other material beings.
- God’s soul is his unique personality, “a characteristic way of thinking, feeling, and behaving…attitudes, and opinions and is most clearly expressed in interactions with other people.”
- God’s Spirit is the eternal source of energy which, like electricity or the wind, is not confined to any single time and space like a material body is, but can split off and converge, and can only be perceived by humans in its actions through physical substance.
- Body – physical functioning in the confinement of creation and time
“And they heard the voice of the LORD [Yahweh] God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.” (Genesis 3:8)
“And the LORD [Yahweh] appeared unto him [Abraham] in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground, And said, My LORD…And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat…And the men rose up from thence…and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD…and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?…And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham…” (Gen 18)
“And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob’s thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him…And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” (Gen 32:24-30)
“And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend [i.e. a peer, an equal, in a form compatible with human senses, which we often find in the Old Testament accounts of interactions between God and humans]…And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory [major upgrade in the software from human-like to truly hyper-dimensional God]…And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. [Think of it like encountering any huge force-field. Humans are overloaded by high electrical voltage, radioactive nuclear energy, etc.] And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts [think of a tail of a comet, less intense]: but my face shall not be seen….And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there…And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped…And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water [obviously his life was maintained by another transfer of energy]…And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses’ hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him. And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him. And Moses called unto them; and Aaron and all the rulers of the congregation returned unto him: and Moses talked with them. And afterward all the children of Israel came nigh: and he gave them in commandment all that the LORD had spoken with him in mount Sinai. And till Moses had done speaking with them, he put a vail on his face. But when Moses went in before the LORD to speak with him, he took the vail off, until he came out. And he came out, and spake unto the children of Israel that which he was commanded.” (Ex 33:11-23, 34:5-8, 28-34)
- Soul – will, desire, emotions, intent behind behavior, personality
“And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And…it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will… (Gen 6:5-7)
“And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD…and his anger was kindled.” (Nu 11:1)
“Blessed be the LORD thy God, which delighted in thee to set thee on his throne, to be king for the LORD thy God.” (II Chron 9:8)
- Spirit – energy, empowerment
“And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue. And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man’s mouth?…have not I the LORD? Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say…and thou shalt be to him instead of God. (Exodus 4)
“And the LORD said unto Moses, Gather unto me seventy men of the elders of Israel…And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone…And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease…And Moses said…would God that ALL the LORD’S people were prophets, and that the LORD would put his spirit upon them!” (Nu 11:16-29)
“Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil…And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else…And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon ALL flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.” (Joel 2:12-32)
“And when the day of Pentecost [Jewish feast] was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak….Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them…this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon ALL flesh [not just select leaders]…and it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved…This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ [more on the meaning of this phrase later] for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.” (Acts 2:1-33)
In God’s utterly right-eous state there is no conflict between the three modes but all are in perfect agreement. God can function in or out of any of the three modes of material body, immaterial soul and hyper dimensional spirit without altering his identity.
- “In the beginning was the Word [defined as “symbolizes and communicates a meaning usually without being divisible into smaller units capable of independent use“] and
- the Word was with God,
- and the Word was God.
- The same was in the beginning with God.
- All things were made [expression of soul’s desire] by him [by his eternal energy spirit]…
- And the Word was made flesh [mortal body] and dwelt among us…(John 1:1-2, 14)
“I came forth from [visualize a cloud splitting into two clouds] the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father [the two clouds converging back into one].” (Joh 16:28)
I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me…he that hath seen me hath seen the Father…Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake…
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter [besides me in the flesh], that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth WITH you [right now guys – it’s me!], and shall be [future tense] IN you. I will not leave you comfortless: I – I! – will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see [perceive] me:
because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth [chooses to be in unity with] me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode [permanent residence] with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me. These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.” (John 14:2-30)
However, despite not being described anywhere in the Bible, even in the New Testament, orthodox Christianity teaches the doctrine of the Trinity, God existing as three separate but equal persons.
The doctrine of the Trinity means that there is one God who eternally exists as three distinct Persons — the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Stated differently, God is one in essence and three in person. These definitions express three crucial truths: (1) the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are distinct Persons, (2) each Person is fully God, (3) there is only one God.
Understandably, given its intrinsic contradiction and illogicality, the concept of the Trinity was one of many issues debated hotly by the early Christian theologians. Where did it come from? We know that new converts clung to many entrenched pagan concepts. These problems were endemic and addressed in many of the New Testament epistles to the new churches. For example:
“…then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods. But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.Brethren, I beseech you, be as I am…”(Galatians 4:8-12)
The concept of the Trinity, accepted by most Christians today without question, was not established as orthodox Christian doctrine until centuries after the apostles finished writing the New Testament. This alone should raise questions about the legitimacy of this doctrine.
The first defense of the doctrine of the Trinity was in the early third century by the early church father Tertullian…he noted that the majority of the believers in his day found issue with his doctrine…
Among the Non-Trinitarian beliefs, the Sabellianism taught that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are essentially one and the same, the difference being simply verbal, describing different aspects or roles of a single being. For this view Sabellius was excommunicated for heresy in Rome c. 220.
The doctrine of the Trinity is not found in either the New or the Old Testaments.
Judaism traditionally maintains a tradition of monotheism to the exclusion of the possibility of a Trinity. In Judaism, God is understood to be the absolute one, indivisible, and incomparable being who is the ultimate cause of all existence. The idea of God as a duality or trinity is heretical — it is even considered by some to be polytheistic.
If you consider yourself a Bible believing Christian, dare to explore the possibility that Trinitarianism isn’t really Monotheistic?
Monotheism is distinguished from henotheism, a religious system in which the believer worships one god without denying that others may worship different gods with equal validity, and monolatrism, the recognition of the existence of many gods but with the consistent worship of only one deity...
“In the ancient Near East the existence of divine beings was universally accepted without question… The question was not whether there is only one elohim, but whether there is any elohim like Yahweh [translated as LORD in the King James Bible]…”
There is evidence that the Israelites before the Babylonian captivity in the 6th century BCE did not adhere to monotheism. Much of this evidence comes from the Bible itself, which records that many Israelites chose to worship foreign gods and idols rather than Yahweh.
During the 8th century BCE, the monotheistic worship of Yahweh in Israel was in competition with many other cults, described by the Yahwist faction collectively as Baals. The oldest books of the Hebrew Bible reflect this competition, as in the books of Hosea and Nahum, whose authors lament the “apostasy” of the people of Israel and threaten them with the wrath of God if they do not give up their polytheistic cults.
When we examine the history of the development of the doctrine of the trinity we find that the concept of a trinity is not at all unique to Christianity. The driving force behind adding the doctrine of the trinity to Christianity was the corruption of the worship of the one true God.
Secular historian Will Durant: “Christianity did not destroy paganism; it adopted it. . . . From Egypt came the idea of a divine trinity. And in the book Egyptian Religion, Siegfried Morenz notes: ‘The trinity was a major preoccupation of Egyptian theologians . . . Three gods are combined and treated as a single being, addressed in the singular. In this way the spiritual force of Egyptian religion shows a direct link with Christian theology.’”
Looking even further back into history, we find Hinduism is headed by a trinity.
As is the Babylonian religion and the even older Sumerian sources. “All the ancient nations believed in the Trinity.”Naturally the false saviors could only mimic the reality of the true Promised Savior’s unity with the Creator God through a trio of individuals.
When we examine the results of adopting the doctrine of the Trinity, we find not only separation of God into multiple persons but also separation of Judaism from Christianity. Since that is the Old Testament, the ultimate accomplishment is separation of Christianity from its biblical foundation. This was not accidental. The intentional program and inevitable results of the early Church councils was to “divide and conquer” God’s people.
If this sounds heretical, please be judicious enough to investigate the historical facts. Christianity as described in the New Testament was unquestionably a sect of Judaism. The group of believers in Yeshua Messiah was a subset of the larger group of Jewish believers in the fact of a prophesied Messiah who just didn’t accept Jesus of Nazareth as being the fulfillment of the Messiah / Christ, some of whom are still waiting for Messiah to show up for the first time.
The understanding of the early church as a sect of Judaism is a fundamental truth, essential for understanding the whole story, so the concept is introduced here at the beginning and will be elaborated upon laterin the post Everything New is Old Again. For the time being, I encourage you to take what scripture says at face value.
“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:” (Deuteronomy 6:4)
“Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances [in context this means ordinances against separation – the entirety of Mosaic law is not addressed in this passage]; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby…For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God…keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.” (Ephesians 2:11-19, 4:3-6)
Think about it. The Jewish religious leaders would not have fought against the threat to their authority and power, and the Roman rulers would not have listened to their complaints if belief in Jesus Christ was just one of the multitude of “other” religions for which Rome was famous for tolerating and even incorporating.
“The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine. Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort…” (John 18:19-20)
“And after five days Ananias the high priest descended with the elders, and with a certain orator named Tertullus, who informed the governor against Paul. And when he was called forth, Tertullus began to accuse him, saying, Seeing that by thee we enjoy great quietness, and that very worthy deeds are done unto this nation by thy providence, We accept it always, and in all places, most noble Felix, with all thankfulness. Notwithstanding, that I be not further tedious unto thee, I pray thee that thou wouldest hear us of thy clemency a few words. For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes: Who also hath gone about to profane the temple: whom we took, and would have judged according to our law…Then Paul…answered, Forasmuch as I know that thou hast been of many years a judge unto this nation, I do the more cheerfully answer for myself: Because that thou mayest understand, that there are yet but twelve days since I went up to Jerusalem for to worship. And they neither found me in the temple disputing with any man, neither raising up the people, neither in the synagogues, nor in the city: Neither can they prove the things whereof they now accuse me. But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy [i.e. of Judaism], so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets: And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust. And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void to offence toward God, and toward men. Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings. Whereupon certain Jews from Asia found me purified in the temple, neither with multitude, nor with tumult…Except it be for this one voice, that I cried standing among them, Touching the resurrection of the dead I am called in question by you this day. And when Felix heard these things, having more perfect knowledge of that way [that sect], he deferred them…” (Acts 24:1-22)
The split between Judaism and Christianity was gradual and happened at different rates in different places. There is remarkably little agreement among scholars as to what precisely caused the rift and estimates vary about the date, from the middle of the first century CE to the middle of the fourth CE…The early Jewish church was Jewish in leadership and membership. It functioned in synagogues and had Pharisaic traditions and it never lost its traces of Rabbinic Halakha [religious law]…The Council of Necaea was summoned by the Emperor Constantine in 325 CE to settle the Arian dispute about the person of Christ. The Emperor himself, though unbaptised, presided…Christ was declared co- equal and co-eternal with the Father…Constantine had achieved his aim: to weld the Empire into a Christian spiritual block for political reasons.
…in the year 315, Constantine issued the following edict: We wish to make it known to the Jews and their elders and their patriarchs that if, after the enactment of this law, any one of them dares to attack with stones or some other manifestation of anger another who has fled their dangerous sect and attached himself to the worship of God [Christianity], he must speedily be given to flames and burn— together with all his accomplices. Moreover, if any one of the population should join their abominable sect and attend their meetings, he will bear with them the deserved penalties. This law had two purposes. One was to prevent Jews from interfering with relatives or friends who converted to Christianity. The other was to discourage Christians from converting to Judaism...By 325 CE, Constantine had absolute power in Rome; in ancient times this meant both political and religious power. That year he summoned 250 Christian bishops to a council in Nicaea… The council began by adopting a creed—a statement of common beliefs. The Nicene Creed expresses a belief in God, in Jesus Christ as the son of God, and in the Holy Spirit. But the bishops of the church went beyond simply defining what Christians believe. At this and later councils, they also moved to distinguish Christianity from Judaism. For example, early Christians, like other Jews, had observed the Sabbath on the seventh day of the week and then celebrated Jesus’s resurrection with special gatherings and meals on the first day of the week (Saturday night or Sunday). Now the council insisted that Christians would observe only Sunday and not the traditional Jewish Sabbath. The bishops also separated Christian commemorations of Easter from Jewish observances of Passover (the Jewish festival during which Jesus was crucified).
The religious doctrines of the Church Councils put the finishing touches on the political edicts. Christianity was split from Judaism…and joined to Paganism.
The logical results of Christianity incorporating pagan beliefs and practices and distancing itself from Judaism was that Judaism likewise determinedly eliminated Jesus Christ-ian, i.e. Messia-nic, elements from its new orthodoxy. This version, along with other monotheistic religions like Islam, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, and others rejects the Messiah as God in human flesh.
“Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.” (I John 4:1-3)
What truly distinguishes the New Testament / Covenant from the Old is not a new religion of Christianity vs Judaism, or the permanent vs temporary indwelling of the Holy Spirit, but the realization of the concept of God in human form to expand beyond the only begotten Son of God to include mere mortals who through transformative death and resurrection unite with God as perfected righteous sons of God as promised in the Old Testament.
“For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them…That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us:” (John 17:21)
“Thus saith the LORD God; I will even gather you from the people, and assemble you out of the countries where ye have been scattered, and I will give you the land of Israel. And they shall come thither, and they shall take away all the detestable things thereof and all the abominations thereof from thence. And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.“ (Ezekiel 11:17-20)
”Therefore say unto the house of Israel, thus saith the LORD God; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name’s sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went. And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the LORD God, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes. For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God. I will also save you from all your uncleannesses:“ (Ezekiel 36:22-29)
This is so much more, and qualitatively so different from the general conception of “eternal life” being unending existence as ourselves in an immortal body.
“Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I took thee from the sheepcote, from following the sheep, to be ruler over my people, over Israel…Also the LORD telleth thee that he will make thee an house [dynasty]. And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build an household / family for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men: But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee. And thine house /family and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever. According to all these words, and according to all this vision, so did Nathan speak unto David. ” (II Samuel 7:8-17)
“Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.” (Isaiah 55:3)
“…they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down. And after the reading of the law and the prophets the rulers of the synagogue sent unto them, saying, Ye men and brethren, if ye have any word of exhortation for the people, say on. Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience. The God of this people of Israel chose our fathers, and exalted the people when they dwelt as strangers in the land of Egypt…he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave their testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will. Of this man’s seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus…Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is the word of this salvation sent…we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers, God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee. And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David. Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption…Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: And by him all that believe are justified from all things...Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.” (Acts 13:14-43)
The New Testament does not separate Jewish believers from Gentile Christians. It unites us. The essential Christian New Testament assurance of eternal salvation is based on the Old Testament promises. There is no “New” without an “Old”, and there is no credibility in the New without the Old.
“I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew…if the root be holy, so are the branches. And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree; Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee…As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father’s sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.” (Romans 11:1-2, 5, 11-18, 28-29)
“The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love…Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah…I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, [i.e. be united, two becoming one as The Old Testament describes men knowing their wives] from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever. Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.” (Jeremiah 31:1,31-37)
The logical result of Christianity declaring Jews to be enemies and persecuting them in pogroms and exiles for 2,000 years was to drive God’s people away from their Savior. This is antithetical to God’s documented plan. If we Gentile believers in Jesus Christ can’t summon the charity to reconcile God’s beloved people to God, we should at least have the self-interest to do so. Jesus Christ gave us the motivation when he announced that he is not returning to finalize his defeat of sin and death until his co-rulers, the Jewish leaders, accept him as LORD.
“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.” (Matthew 23:27-28, 37-39)
“Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time. And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child…And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which 1) keep the commandments of God, and 2) have the testimony of Jesus Christ.” (Revelation 12:12-17)
“Brethren, [all fellow believers in Jesus Christ / Yeshua Messiah / YHVH’s Savior] my [Paul’s] heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved…For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?” (Romans 10:1, 11:15)
Certain words like Christian and church have been used for two thousand years to denote a Gentile religion, or way of establishing a relationship with God, which is different from, and succeeded and replaced the older Jewish religion. Judaism wasn’t even established until about 1,500 years into biblical history, so what was the religion before Judaism? This study reveals that there is only one way of salvation from death for all humanity, from the first human to the last.
“And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise [smash down on] thy head” (Genesis 3:15)
“…the gospel according to the power of God; Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.” (II Timothy 1:8-10)
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.” (Romans 1:16-17)
“…the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things…Who will render to every man according to his deeds…Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God….are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one…Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.” (Romans 2:2-3:26)
Failure to understand the meanings of names contributes to the confusion over the joint identity of the various manifestations of God as well as the joint identity of both Jewish and Gentile believers in the Messiah / Christ. Most of all, confusion over the meaning of names is the foundation of the exclusionary doctrine of “Christ”ianity and salvation in the English name of “Jesus”.
Most of what we treat as God’s exclusive names are titles that can apply to other individuals, and multiple titles can apply to a single individual. For example, I am both daughter and mother, but not two different people.
- God, elohim (plural), eloha or elohe (singular) in Hebrew, is found 2,598 times in the Old Testament alone. The fact that other beings besides Creator God are also referred to by this title should add significant depth to our understanding of this title. It indicates power.
- Human rulers/judges (I Samuel 2:25) “If one man sin against another, the [human] judge [translated from elohim, God] shall judge him. but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him?” The biblical title of “judge” is basically what we now call executives, because they make decisions (executive function of the brain) and have their orders carried out (executed). Executives have the power to put their plans, actions and laws into effect, Including execution as a death sentence.
- Lesser gods (Exodus 18:11) do have power, but this is different from authority. As we shall see, these hyper-dimensional beings defied their Creator and act on their own plans rather than carry out his orders. There is archeological and anthropological evidence backing up the Bible’s report that these beings are real, not mythological figments of imagination. It is reasonable to label them “ancient aliens” and “ancient astronauts / star travelers”, without making the assumption that they have no Creator. It is more unreasonable to use them to eliminate the concept of a Creator without providing an explanation for their ancient origins.
- “God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods. How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked?…They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course. I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes. Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations [in the greatest corporate takeover in history]. (Psalm 82)
- Angels being the common reference for the good hyperdimensional beings, but this term simply means messenger. This function in bridging the hyper dimensions of the heavens with the four dimensions of the human world is readily apparent. As God’s messengers, they are powerful beings. “When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and [still, yet] hast crowned him with glory and honour.” (Psalm 8:3-6)
When we understand that “God” = the one who has the power to make and put plans into effect, we realize that the use of this title for the creator of everything introduces him as the most powerful being of all.
- Lord, or Adon in Hebrew, more frequently emphasized as Adonay (O Lord or my Lord). This as a title means ruler or master, someone with authority to influence others’ affairs for good or bad. This descriptor also applies to other beings, who often illegally seize authority through mutiny.
- Humans, such as masters over servants/employees, fathers who in ancient time held absolute authority within families, military superior officers, etc. “O generation, see ye the word of the Lord. Have I been a wilderness unto Israel? a land of darkness? wherefore say my people, We are lords; we will come no more unto thee?” (Jeremiah 2:31)
- The gods who are false, not in the sense of unreal but in the sense of deceitful, promising to empower their followers but actually trapping and destroying them. “Thou shalt make no covenant with…their gods…for if thou serve their gods, it will surely be a snare unto thee.” (Ex 23:32-33) “O LORD our God, other lords beside thee have had dominion over us: but by thee only will we make mention of thy name. They are dead [disconnected from the source of life], they shall not live; they are deceased, they shall not rise: therefore hast thou visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish.” (Isaiah 26:13-14)
- Angels: “…a thing was revealed unto Daniel…I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz: His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude…Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia…then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my lord…how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me. Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me…And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me. Then said he, Knowest thou wherefore I come unto thee? and now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, lo, the prince of Grecia shall come. But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.“ (Daniel 10)
The existence of other created gods and lords is why we address the God of creation as “Most High God, King of kings and Lord of lords.” What makes him unique among all the gods is that he alone is creator and giver of life.
“Thus saith [the] God [ha El, singular] the LORD [Yhvh], he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein…I am the LORD: [Yhvh] that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.” (Isaiah 42:5-8)
The personal name of the God of gods and Lord of lords in Hebrew is Yhvh. given when God introduces himself to Moses. Because there are no written vowels to clue us into the correct pronunciation, it is written and pronounced variously as Yahweh (you’ll see this in Strong’s Concordance), Yehoowah, or Jehovah (in the King James at a time, oddly enough, when the letter J had just recently been introduced into the English alphabet). This name is so highly respected by conservative Judaism that it is not pronounced at all, hence no verbal tradition handed down and the substitution of “LORD” (all caps) which carried over even in English scriptures (including most of the occurrences in the King James).
Notice how “name” is equivalent to “way” in this passage, equating “who we are” with “what we do,” and defines God’s character and attributes.
“And Moses said unto the LORD, See, thou sayest unto me, Bring up this people: and thou hast not let me know whom thou wilt send with me. Yet thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast also found grace in my sight. Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, shew me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight…
And the LORD descended in the cloud [heads-up, this is major foreshadowing], and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD…
- The LORD,
- The Lord
merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, unto the third and to the fourth generation. “ (Exodus 33:12-13 – 34:5-8)
Understanding that “who we are” is equivalent to “what we do” adds to our understanding of the statement made by the man called Yeshua / YHVH’s Savior when he was incarnate on earth, that he would not come back to earth in his full power and glory (in clouds) until his co-rulers acknowledge him by proclaiming his identity through his abilities.
“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, [but despite this] how often would I have gathered thy children together [to protect you], even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your household / people is left unto you desolate / unprotected. For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name [i.e. abilities] of the LORD / YHVH.” (Matthew 23:37-39)
As per the documented therefore recognizable historical pattern, this will be a miraculous, physics-defying rescue from tyranny first documented with Noah’s family through the world-destroying flood, then with the Israelite-led multinational Exodus from Egypt. In other words, this man called Yeshua was claiming to have the power of Almighty God YHVH.
John was granted a vision of this future occurrence, I’m thinking to strengthen his faith as the nation of Judea was almost wiped out of existence towards the end of his lifetime. His record of this vision – the book of Revelation – deserves at least as much consideration as the prophecies of Nostradamus, for the sake of valid research.
More analysis in a later post, for now just note that the prediction of the fulfillment of Yeshua’s promise is grounded in verifiably historically identical ways (get it?) that are unmistakable proofs of the identity of the same God returning to rescue his people once again, despite the passing of thousands of years and massive culture shifts, providing credibility not found in any other religious writings.
This God alone, not any superman predicted by other prophets, provides historical documentation that his word truly comes to pass, so that we can trust his word for the future. Below is a small sample of this practice – events that occurred approximately 650 years before during the reconstruction of the temple after its destruction by Babylon, recurring in John’s Revelation of the undated future reconstruction of the temple after its destruction by Rome.
- “I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation…was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia.” (Revelation 1:9-11)
- “Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and put it also in writing, saying…The LORD God of heaven hath charged me to build him an house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Who is there among you of all his people? his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and build the house of the LORD God of Israel, (he is the God,)…Then rose up the chief of the fathers of Judah and Benjamin, and the priests, and the Levites, with all them whose spirit God had raised, to go up to build the house of the LORD which is in Jerusalem…Which came with Zerubbabel: Jeshua, Nehemiah…(Ezra 1-2)
- Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodiceans write…As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent…He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” (Revelation 2-3)
- In the second year of Darius the king, in the sixth month, in the first day of the month, came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet unto Zerubbabel the…governor of Judah, and to Joshua…the high priest, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, This people say, The time is not come, the time that the LORD‘s house should be built…Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your cieled houses, and this house lie waste? [If you read much of the Bible you can’t help but notice that God can get really sarcastic.) Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways…Consider your ways…Ye looked for much, and, lo it came to little; and when ye brought it home, I did blow upon it. Why? saith the LORD of hosts / armies [rather ominous reminder]. Because of mine house that is waste, and ye run every man unto his own house…Then Zerubbabel…and Joshua…the high priest, with all the remnant of the people, obeyed the voice of the LORD their God, and the words of Haggai the prophet, as the LORD their God had sent him…Then spake Haggai the LORD‘s messenger in the LORD‘s message unto the people, saying, I am with you, saith the LORD. And the LORD stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel…governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua…the high priest, and the spirit of all the remnant of the people; and they came and did work in the house of the LORD of hosts, their God” (Haggai 1)
- ” there was given me [John] a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein. But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.” (Revelation 11:1-2)
- “In the eighth month, in the second year of Darius [i.e. in the context of Judah’s release from the Babylonian captivity] came the word of the LORD unto Zechariah…the prophet…say thou unto them, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Turn ye unto me, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will turn unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. Be ye not as your fathers, unto whom the former prophets have cried, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Turn ye now from your evil ways, and from your evil doings: but they did not hear, nor hearken unto me, saith the LORD.” (Zechariah 1:1-4)
- “And he shewed me Joshua standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?…And the angel of the LORD protested unto Joshua, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by. Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the Branch…and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.” (Zechariah 3:1-9)
- “And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth. These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.” (Revelation 11:3-4)
- And the angel that talked with me came again, and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep. And said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof: And two olive trees by it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other upon the left side thereof [clearly the source of the oil that feeds the lamps] So I answered and spake to the angel that talked with me, saying, What are these, my lord? Then the angel that talked with me answered and said unto me, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord. Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts. Who art thou, O great mountain [symbol of insurmountable obstacle]? before Zerubbabel thou shalt become a plain: and he shall bring forth the headstone [of the temple] thereof with shoutings, crying, Grace, grace unto it…The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto you…Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof? And…What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves? And he answered me and said…These are the two anointed ones / Messiahs, that stand by the LORD of the whole earth.” (Zechariah 4)
- the word of the LORD came unto me / Zechariah...take silver and gold, and make crowns, and set them upon the head of Joshua…the high priest; And speak unto him, saying…Behold the man whose name is The Branch; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD:..and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both…And they that are far off shall come and build in the temple of the LORD, and ye shall know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto you. And this shall come to pass, if ye will diligently obey the voice of the Lord your God.” (Zechariah 6:9-15)
- “And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.” (Revelation 11:5)
- “the king sent unto him a captain of fifty with his fifty…And he spake unto him, Thou man of God, the king hath said, Come down. And Elijah answered and said to the captain of fifty, If I be a man of God, then let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And there came down fire from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty. Again also he sent unto him another captain of fifty with his fifty…And the fire of God came down from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty…So he [the king of Samaria] died according to the word of the LORD which Elijah had spoken.” (II Kings 1:9-17)
- These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy” (Revelation 11:6)
- And Elijah the Tishbite…said unto Ahab, As the LORD God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word.” (I Kings 17:1)
- and have power over waters to turn them to blood (Revelation 11:6)
- And the LORD spake unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and stretch out thine hand upon the waters of Egypt, upon their streams, upon their rivers, and upon their ponds, and upon all their pools of water, that they may become blood; and that there may be blood throughout all the land of Egypt, both in vessels of wood, and in vessels of stone. And Moses and Aaron did so, as the LORD commanded; and he lifted up the rod, and smote the waters that were in the river, in the sight of Pharaoh, and in the sight of his servants; and all the waters that were in the river were turned to blood.” (Exodus 7:19-20)
- and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will (Revelation 11:6)
- And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, In all the signs and the wonders, which the Lord sent him to do in the land of Egypt to Pharaoh, and to all his servants, and to all his land. And in all that mighty hand, and in all the great terror which Moses shewed in the sight of all Israel.” (Deuteronomy 34:10-12)
- And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified. And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves…”(Revelation 11:7-9)
- “Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus…When Jesus heard that…he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was. Then after that saith he to his disciples…Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep…Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord…he hath been dead four days. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?” (John 11:39-40)
- And after three days and an half the spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them. And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them. And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and [finally!!!] gave glory to the God of heaven.” (Rev 11:3-13)
- And…he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go. Then many of the Jews…believed on him. But some of them went their ways to the Pharisees, and told them what things Jesus had done. Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles. If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation…Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death.” (John 11:43-53)
What does it mean to “believe in Jesus”, or more specifically, in his name? Honestly, growing up in a fundamental church which put lots of stock in faith, which was defined as no questions asked, I didn’t know. It wasn’t until I broke away and began questioning everything that it made sense. Name = functionality, abilities, powers. Like Superman, Spiderman, Ironman, etc.
- to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: (John 1:12)
- many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. (John 2:23)
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath n
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned [to perish] already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. (John 3:18)
- the works that I do in my Father’s name, they bear witness of me. (John 10:25)
- And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: but these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.(John 20:30-31)
In magic, invoking a powerful being’s secret name gives access to that being’s power “to do”. It’s like knowing your doctor’s personal cell phone number, which I had for the doctor for whom I worked. I could, and can still, get straight through and make my requests known without being blocked by anyone.
With this in mind, the interaction between sly Jacob and God takes on added meaning. Jacob is trying to gain power over God by learning his secret name, which explains why God did not give it to him.
“And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day…And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob. And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” (Genesis 32:24-30)
We can recognize that Manoah was also being clever when he asked for the angel’s name. This is equivalent to having a signed copy of a deed handing over ownership of a vehicle or house. Manoah lacked the faith to believe God’s promise, and wanted a backup plan to force the higher power to make good on it.
“And there was a certain man…whose name was Manoah; and his wife was barren…And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her…thou shalt conceive, and bear a son [Samson / means “gnashing teeth”]…and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hands of the Philistines…And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD, What is thy name, that when thy sayings come to pass we may do thee honour? And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Why askest thou thus after my name, seeing it is secret? (Judges 13:1-18)
With this background, we understand that believers who receive a secret name are granted some special powers. This concept should be well understood in our current culture.
“He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give…a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.” (Revelation 2:17)
I don’t have personal experience in magic in its many forms but I can believe that sharing names and contact information with spirit beings does in fact create two-way connections. However, as another nonmaterial experience – on-line dating – proves, you can’t be in control of what happens next. We need to be careful about invoking, even unwittingly, names of spirit beings in activities like karate and yoga. There is only one name in which we can safely trust to accomplish a good thing for us.
“For the Lord God [Adonay Yhvh] will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed. He is near that justifieth me; who will contend with me? let us stand together: who is mine adversary? let him come near to me. Behold, the Lord God will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? lo, they all shall wax old as a garment; the moth shall eat them up. Who is among you that feareth the LORD [Yhvh] , that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD [Yhvh], and stay upon his God [Elohaw]. (Isaiah 50:7-10)
Notice that the English translation, at least in the King James, is not consistent in how it translates the different Hebrew titles for God, even in the same passage. First Yhvh is translated “God” then “LORD”. This can be seen as a literary device, a simple code for expressing the baseline singularity of the difference expressions of one individual.
God, in a variety of manifestations simultaneously, finally revealed his name to Israel’s children / descendants / tribe, in circumstances that prove that
- invoking the name does establish a relationship,
- and that believing in the name does grant access to power of life over death.
“Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert, and came to the mountain of God, even to Horeb.
- And the angel [malak / messenger] of the LORD / Yhvh appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush [more on this person in the next post]
- God / elohim called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said…I am the God/elohe of thy father, the God / elohe of Abraham, the God /elohe of Isaac, and the God / elohe of Jacob...
- And the LORD / Yhvh said…Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt.
- And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?
- And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; [Trust me]…
- And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name [attributes, characteristics]? what shall I say unto them? [Like Jacob and Manoah, it appears that Moses is grasping here for the “hook” that lets him call up this hyper dimensional source of power at will.]
- And God said unto Moses, [and we may fairly suppose he shrugs at that point, “What can I say?”] I Am Who I Am, [ehyeh aser ehyeh, at a minimum expressing his uniqueness which can’t be explained or understood by humans, possibly referencing a permanent state of present time as opposed to humans’ linear timeline of past to future, i.e. timeless, eternal, self-existent Being] and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you. [This isn’t really helping Moses who has no background in physics.]
- And God said moreover…[final answer and he’s done] Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the LORD / YHVH God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.” (Exodus 3:1-15) [Memorial – historical proof of God’s power provides the only necessary, as the only true, basis for trust.] Now therefore go, [quit dragging your feet!] and I [as my spirit] will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say…and thou shalt be…instead of God [i.e. an angel].” (Exodus 4:12-16)
- And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him…I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name YHVH [was I not known to them. And I have also established my covenant with them…and I have remembered my covenant. Wherefore say unto the children of Israel,
- I AM / the LORD / YHVH [the one who is: i.e. the absolute and unchangeable one, Ri; the existing, ever living]
- and I will [as promised in my covenant] bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments:
- And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a [notice singular adjective modifying a plural noun] God / elohim:
- and ye shall know that I AM AKA YHVH your God, [as proven by my actions] which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.” (Exodus 6:2-7)
The Exodus is not just a fascinating story. It takes up four entire books for a reason. It is the seminal redemption event that drives all the rest of human history. More on this in a later post. For now, just focus on the name Yhvh, and Jesus’ claim that it belongs to him.
- Jesus (English) = Iesous (Greek) = Yehoshua (Hebrew) = Yhvh is salvation
The transformation from the Hebrew Yehoshua to the English Jesus is most easily recognized in comparison with other biblical names compounding YHVH 1) in the ending of the name with a contraction of iah, or fairly recently in the English language, jah, or 2) in the beginning of the name with Yeho or Jeho. Note, in an upset to the King James Only Movement, the original 1611 King James Bible spelled all words that now contain a “J” with an “I”. “The pronunciation Jehovah was unknown until 1520…but it was contested by Le Mercier, J. Drusius, and L. Capellus, as against grammatical and historical propriety.”
The alternative letters, and alternative pronunciations of the same letters, used by different languages for the Hebrew “Y” is readily apparent with the common name “John”, such as Yohannes, Jan, Wannes, Juan, Ioann, Ian, Giovane, Sean, Jose, Hans, Hermes. Hermes?! We’ll get back to him in a later post.
- Abi-jah: My Father is YHVH
- Eli-jah: My God is YHVH
- J/Yerem-iah: Exalted by YHVH
- J/Yeho-ram: YHVH is exalted – note how two names can have the same root words with a twist on the subject of the action
- Isa-iah: Salvation is YHVH – from the roots יָשַׁע(yasha‘) meaning “to save” and יָה (yah)
- J(eh)o-shua: YHVH is Salvation – English form of the Hebrew name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshu’a): from יְהוֹ (yeho and יָשַׁע(yasha‘ meaning “to save“
This directly links the Savior in the New Testament to the saving God of the Old Testament, not only of Israel but of the pre-Israelite ancient patriarchs like Abel and Noah.
- I Am that I Am
- “Then spake Yahweh’s Savior / Yeshua / Jesus again unto them, saying..if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
- Then said they unto him, Who art thou?
- And Yahweh’s Savior / Yeshua / Jesus saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning [the Son of God John 1:34]…I proceeded forth and came from Theos / God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me...
- Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?…
- Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I Am.” (John 8:12-58)
- “Then spake Yahweh’s Savior / Yeshua / Jesus again unto them, saying..if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
- Christ (English) = Xristos (Greek) = Messiah (Hebrew) = the Anointed One, which is to say the Designated, Appointed, Chosen or Consecrated One. This may be best translated into English as “Chosen One” for the purpose of salvation, promised to the first humans as “the seed of the woman“.
“And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life. And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.” (Genesis 3:14-15)
“And thou shalt put them [official garments] upon Aaron thy brother, and his sons with him; and shalt anoint them, and consecrate them, and sanctify them, that they may minister unto me in the priest’s office.” (Exodus 28:40-41)
“Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Yaweh’s Consecrated Savior / Messiah Yeshua / Christ Jesus; Who was faithful to him that chose / appointed him…” (Hebrews 1:1-2)
- Church (English) = ekklesia (Greek) = qahal (Hebrew) = congregation, convocation, assembly of believers. This may indicate an Old or New Testament gathering of believers, a local sub-assembly or the total aggregate of all believers from all time.
“This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear. This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us.” (Acts 7:37-38)
“But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Yahweh’s Savior / Yeshua / Jesus the mediator of the new covenant.” (Hebrews 23:22-24)
Christ Jesus is the ultimate expression of the unity of Lord God YHVH.
“As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality [rule, authority] and power [godhood]:” (Colosians 2:6-10)
This is why Christ Jesus is the only name that saves – “it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth” (Romans 1:16)
“The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus…Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. And he shall send Jesus Christ / YHVH’s Anointed Savior…which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began…Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name / attribute of power under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” (Acts 3:13-19, 4:12)
When we know the translation we understand why invoking the name of Jesus Christ it is equivalent to calling on the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:” (Matthew 28:19)
“…Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ.” (Acts 2:38)
This name is the source of the highest power over body, soul, spirit, and death.
“And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this? Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them…by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth…whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.” (Acts 4:7-10)
“And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13-14)
However, this does not empower us to fulfill our goals. Note, in the same passage apparently teaching the prosperity gospel the objective for empowerment is given – glorifying the Father in the Son. It’s that corporation concept – all the individuals working together as one to glorify God / the source of all power the Father / the Authority.
“Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:5-11)
If you’ve ever read or watched historical drama you should be able to vividly capture the concept of defeated lords bending the knee and submitting to the King of kings who is the rightful heir to the throne of all the kingdoms. Humans have only two options – acknowledge him as Lord and live in peace with him, or rebel against his authority and be at war.
That’s the story. The battle for control. If we are wise, we will ally with this Lord before the last battle begins.
“And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Chosen One / Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever. And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God, Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned. And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.” (Revelation 11:15-18)
What if you don’t believe in the biblical God who created everything in the universe and revealed himself to mankind? That’s OK. So far the thesis hasn’t been proven, it’s just been stated. There are numerous other claims of creator gods which can also be evaluated for credibility. Or you can consider the possibility that there are no gods at all and we humans are the most intelligent beings in the universe.
Seriously? “Scientists have been warning for decades that human actions are pushing life on our shared planet toward mass extinction.”
By default, we put our faith in something. People who claim to be rational by believing in the godless non-spiritual materialism that science has “discovered” are actually trusting in the scientists.
Which of the below images is accurate? Because they are all different, although reported to have all been taken from outer space. Isn’t it obvious that they are all bogus? The NASA photoshoppers don’t even bother to maintain consistency. Are they banking on our gullibility or mocking it?
So if NASA “has to” photoshop an image of the earth supposedly taken from a satellite not that far from earth, how can we possibly trust any image supposedly taken from the Hubble telescope of objects millions of lightyears away? Look through NASA’s Hubble websites for yourself and just consider the possibility that this is a massive propaganda campaign in support of the Big Bang and evolution.
The nearly 20-year-old Hubble Space Telescope has taken many iconic images of the cosmos…But does Hubble show us what the universe really looks like?
Yes and no, according to NASA.
When Hubble beams down images, astronomers have to make many adjustments, such as adding color and patching multiple photos together, to that raw data before the space observatory’s images are released to the public.
Hubble doesn’t use color film (or any film at all) to create its images. Instead, it operates much like a digital camera, using what’s called a CCD (charge-coupled device) to record incoming photons of light.
The Hubble Space Telescope…travels about 5 miles per second: That is like traveling from the eastern coast of the United States to the western coast in 10 minutes. Hubble takes sharp pictures of objects in the sky such as planets, stars and galaxies… billions of light years away…The telescope can lock onto a target that is one mile away without moving more than the width of a human hair.
OK, but how much does it move when locked onto a target billions of light years away? Seriously? We’re supposed to take this at face value?
Once the target is acquired, Hubble’s primary mirror collects light.The mirror can collect about 40,000 times more light than the human eye.
And you expect us to believe that there is no intervening light source blocking the view of the target billions of light years away, when scientists estimate that there are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe? It seems to me that any hobby photographer would question the ability to avoid all other light sources in order to focus on one source “billions of light years away”…
Hubble has five scientific instruments which include cameras and spectrographs. A spectrograph is an instrument that splits light into its individual wavelengths...Hubble’s main camera…can see three different kinds of light: near-ultraviolet, visible and near-infrared. But Hubble can only see each kind of light one at a time…
So how does it capture all three while moving at 5 miles per second away from a target billions of light years away? This is just common sense. Golfers don’t imagine they can shift their angle a tiny bit three times in a row and still hit the exact same target only yards away.
The Cosmic Origins Spectrograph reads ultraviolet light. This spectrograph studies how galaxies, stars and planets formed and changed…
The name alone of this device is unscientific. It is not gathering raw data to examine uncritically. It is presenting support for an a priori claim. And how does ultraviolet light show how galaxies, stars and planets form and change? Do you see where faith in the astrophysicists’ claims is required? This makes astrophysics a religion.
The Near Infrared Camera and Multi-Object Spectrometer, or NICMOS, sees objects in deep space by sensing the heat they emit.
Seriously? From just HOW FAR AWAY?
It captures images and it is also a spectrograph. NICMOS helps scientists study how stars, galaxies and planetary systems form.
Again, how, exactly, does this data establish a process as complicated as the formation of the universe?
Images taken by Hubble have helped scientists estimate the age and size of the universe. Scientists believe the universe is almost 14 billion years old…
You’d think with all the amazing developments in a few years of Hubble activity, assuming it is real, would have led scientists to realize how much they didn’t know before, ergo, how much we still don’t know. But no, confident assertion of knowledge.
Hubble…has played a key role in the discovery of dark energy, a mysterious force that causes the universe to expand faster and faster as time goes on.
And here is a statement that can be fact checked. And it turns out that Hubble is given credit for what earth bound telescopes discovered
…the unexpected finding made in the late 1990’s that the rate of expansion of the Universe is increasing due to dark energy…was totally unexpected and won its discoverers the Nobel prize for physics...Between 1994 and 1998 twenty astronomers located in America, Europe, Australia and Chile looked at 16 high red shift supernovae.
Where Do the Colors in Hubble’s Images Come From?
Hubble pictures start out as shades of black and white. The Space Telescope Science Institute adds colors to the pictures for different reasons. Sometimes colors are chosen to show how an object might look to the human eye. Other times colors are used to highlight an important detail. Or they can be used to show details that would otherwise be invisible to the human eye...
Hubble turned 30 years old in 2020…Since the telescope’s launch, five space shuttle missions have carried astronauts to Hubble to repair and upgrade it. The last mission was in 2009…The telescope will not be repaired or upgraded again. But, it is expected to continue to work past 2020.
Yep, just like earth-bound devices like computers and cell phones which have been working just fine without repairs or upgrades for the last 11 years are are expected to continue working. SERIOUSLY?
Meanwhile, NASA and its international partners are preparing the James Webb Space Telescope to launch in early 2021. The Webb…will be able to see through clouds and dust in space.
Did you just admit that Hubble can’t?!
I understand that I don’t have the scientific background or access to Hubble records to prove that Hubble is a complete hoax. Maybe it’s not. But I do not put my trust in anyone whose story has a lot of inconsistencies, and I do believe in critical thinking. There are many elements of this narrative that are open to scrutiny.
- 1969 – CCD (charge-coupled device) in initial stages of development by Bell Labs at AT&T.
- 1974 – Astrophysicists and engineers meet to develop concepts, technical requirements, and budget for a space telescope.
- 1977 – Congress approves funding. Home computers become widely available.
- 1981 – First electronic cameras record images as continuous signals, as videotape machines did, not as discrete (digital) levels. Images had quality of the television of that time and had a lower quality of images comparing to the standard film. They also needed equipment for capturing and printing of images. They were mostly used by newspapers and military.
- 1990 – Hubble Space Telescope launched. Ummm, so even with government funding available, what technology was available? Since the first images were determined to be only a 50% improvement over ground-based images, I’m guessing – not much. And sure enough:
- 1993 – first servicing mission by astronauts installing new equipment.
- 1997 – second servicing mission to install new equipment. Digital cameras are becoming available to the public, but won’t replace film cameras for another 10 years, i.e. 2007.
- 1999 – third servicing mission to restore Hubble to working order after it had shut down.
- 2002 – fourth servicing mission to upgrade Hubble by astronauts aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia.
- 2003 – The loss of all seven astronauts aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia halted further missions to the Hubble. An estimated repair cost of $1 billion was also determined to be too expensive, and the Hubble was planned to be retired by 2010.
- 2009 – fifth and final mission to maintain equipment and upgrade capabilities.
The most recent visit was in May 2009, when astronauts performed five tricky spacewalks to add a new camera, spectrograph, and make unprecedented repairs and upgrades that left Hubble more powerful than ever before.
NASA scientists hope those upgrades will add at least five more years of life to the aging Hubble Space Telescope.
Hmmm. This article is still “Live! From NASA! History’s premier outer space propaganda website!” in 2020, 6 years after Hubble’s expected life span and 11 years after the last repairs and upgrades. How many much simpler earth-bound electronics have required continuous upgrades, are no longer serviceable, or simply quit functioning in the last 11 years? Can you imagine any that have held up and are still working just fine??
Now let’s put Hubble’s history in perspective with world politics.
Even before the guns fell silent in Europe in 1945, it became apparent to American and British planners that the Soviet Union would hold a massive advantage in land power along the Central front. In the early post-war years, Western planners hoped that nuclear weapons would keep the Soviets at bay. As the USSR’s own missile and nuclear programs accelerated, however, it became apparent that NATO would need to come to some understanding of how to fight Warsaw Pact [Soviet Union] forces.
- 1946 – WWII Nazi rocket science, seized as spoils of war by winners Russia and the US through the acquisition of top Nazi scientists, permits the existing concept of a space-based telescope to be studied for practical implementation.
The aftermath of World War II saw much of Europe devastated in a way that is now difficult to envision. Approximately 36.5 million Europeans had died in the conflict, 19 million of them civilians. Refugee camps and rationing dominated daily life. In some areas, infant mortality rates were one in four. Millions of orphans wandered the burnt-out shells of former metropolises. In the German city of Hamburg alone, half a million people were homeless.
In addition, Communists aided by the Soviet Union were threatening elected governments across Europe. In February 1948, the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia, with covert backing from the Soviet Union, overthrew the democratically elected government in that country.
- 1949 – North Atlantic Treaty Organization / NATO is formed to deter Soviet expansionism, forbid the revival of nationalist militarism in Europe through a strong North American (read American) presence on the continent, and encourage European political integration.
- 1952 – the United States tests a nuclear weapon one thousand times more powerful than the atomic bomb that had leveled Hiroshima, committing the United States to an arms race with the Soviet Union. The newly formed US National Security Council’s releases NSC-68, a secret policy paper calling for massively increased military spending to counter the Soviet Union’s stated planned takeover of not just America but the whole world, establishing a state of fear of a nuclear apocalypse and willingness to blindly fund secret spending by the Department of Defense, CIA, and National Security Agency, budgeted at $59 billion in 2015.
The Nuclear Option
During the 1950s and 1960s, NATO and the Warsaw Pact agreed about two things regarding combat on the Central front. First, Warsaw Pact forces would quickly overrun NATO forces, achieving rates of advance across Western Europe that exceeded even those of World War II. Second, both NATO and the Warsaw Pact would make plentiful use of tactical nuclear weapons, both to break up enemy formations and also to pave the way for advancing forces…
- “‘In his farewell address, Eisenhower warned of the dangers posed by the growing influence of the “military-industrial complex,” but was unable to slow the arms race.”
- 1957 – Arch enemy, Russia, launches the first successful artificial satellite.
- 1958 – Congress passes the Space Act creating the National Aeronautics and Space Agency.
- 1968 – The most tenacious anti-war movement in U.S. history, beginning with the start of the bombing of North Vietnam in 1964 and radicalizing hundreds of thousands of young people, climaxes in 1968, forcing an end U.S. combat operations against Communist forces in Vietnam and a suspension of the draft by January 1973.
- 1969 – The National Academy of Sciences publishes “Scientific [clearly as opposed to Military] Uses of the Large Space Telescope.”
The Rise of AirLand Battle
First published in 1982, and further developed in 1986, AirLand Battle…envisioned a simultaneous set of attacks deep inside an enemy position, using long-range artillery, airstrikes, and paratroopers…precision guided munitions.
- 1990 – Hubble Space Telescope launched.
Think I’m being a rabid conspiratorialist? In 2011 NASA celebrated the publication of the 10,000th scientific paper based on Hubble data. “This makes Hubble one of the most prolific astronomical endeavors in history.”
For the past 21 years [1991 – 2011] thousands of astronomers around the world in over 35 countries have been engaged in Hubble research. Outside of the United States, the top five nations publishing the most Hubble findings are the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France, and Spain.
The papers are based on Hubble observations that cover nearly every frontier in astronomy…
Data from Hubble’s longest operating camera, the Wide Field Planetary Camera 2 (which was active from 1994 to 2009), was used for nearly half of the papers. The next most highly ranking instrument is the Advanced Camera for Surveys, which was installed in 2002 and is still operating. This is followed by three other top-ranking instruments: the Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph, the Near Infrared and Multi-Object Spectrograph, and the Faint Object Spectrograph.
Unlike other space astrophysics programs, five space shuttle servicing missions to Hubble from 1993 to 2009 repaired various components of the telescope and upgraded it with ever more powerful instruments. This ensured an ongoing program of cutting-edge science spanning over two decades. With a suite of state-of-the-art science instruments, Hubble is presently at its apex of scientific capability.
Bear in mind, this was reported in 2011 – it is now nine years later in 2020 with NO further repairs or upgrades.
In a court of law an advocate don’t need to prove anything, simply show enough holes in the opposition’s story to establish doubt. NASA’s story does not hold up to scrutiny.
You are trusting in what you are told by scientists, and they can’t even prove what they claim to be reality.
...all too often, science is presented as trafficking in absolute truths. On the contrary, science is a framework for interpreting, systematizing, and predicting nature based on empirical observations. That is to say, a well accepted ‘theory’ (framework for understanding/predicting nature) can always be upended with sufficiently compelling contrary evidence.
- 2009 – As Hubble’s lifespan is ending
Dark matter discovered: Scientists believe they have found elusive particle that makes up 90% of Universe
This dark matter map was created by the Hubble Telescope by measuring light from distant stars thought to have been deflected by dark matter. The map of half the Universe reveals [if this assertion doesn’t demonstrate propaganda I don’t know what does] dark matter filaments, collapsing under the relentless pull of gravity and growing clumpier over time.
Dark matter is believed to make up 90 per cent of the mass of the Universe. We can’t see it but scientists think it is there due to the gravitational force it exerts…
Weakly Interacting Massive Particles (WIMPs)…are thought to make up dark matter…
The Cryogenic Dark Matter Search (CDMS) is using 30 ultra-cold germanium and silicon detectors far away from the hail of cosmic rays that strike Earth every day. It is believed the crystals will vibrate if struck by a WIMP.
Now head of CDMS Dan Bauer said they have spotted two particles with all the expected characteristics of dark matter.
The physicist cautions, however, that there’s about a one in four chance that ordinary subatomic particles, rather than dark matter, could account for the signals.
The Large Hadron Collider is expected to create Big Bang conditions next month. It is hoped the accelerator will create dark matter particles.
Theorist Craig Hogan from the University of Chicago said…three or four more WIMP-like interactions recorded over the next few years by the experiment, would constitute proof of dark matter. Seriously? Proof?
‘That would be a huge transformation in how we do science,’ Dr Hogan said.
Can you not recognize that what has been reported in this article at least has no substance on which to place our trust in the “theorists”. Make sure you get that point. These are “ideas” based on other ideas. There is no empirical data underpinning any of these hypotheses allowing them to be elevated to the status of a theory.
Science employs a particular vocabulary for describing how ideas are proposed, tested, and supported or disproven. And that’s where we see the difference between a hypothesis and a theory.
A hypothesis is an assumption, something proposed for the sake of argument so that it can be tested to see if it might be true.
In the scientific method, the hypothesis is constructed before any applicable research has been done, apart from a basic background review. You ask a question, read up on what has been studied before, and then form a hypothesis…
A hypothesis is usually tentative, an assumption or suggestion made strictly for the objective of being tested…
A theory, in contrast, is a principle that has been formed as an attempt to explain things that have already been substantiated by data…Because of the rigors of experimentation and control, its likelihood as truth is much higher than that of a hypothesis.
Another possibility is that gravity is not be what it is theorized to be, therefore its theorized effects do not exist therefore dark matter may not exist.
Contrary to what you have been taught, there is no “Law” of Gravity. Gravity itself is an unknown factor.
There is no theory of gravity that fully explains the observed effects of gravity. Sir Isaac Newton’s explanation [from the 18th century!] of how it works was based on the observations that were available at his time, including the falling of objects of mass as apples on or near to the Earth’s surface, and the orbits of the Planets and the Moon. He assumed that there was a force from the Sun and the Earth and other large bodies that was sent out from the mass in the bodies due to the existence of a Natural Law that require it.
Professor Albert Einstein, after he had published his Special Theory of Relativity, that showed that the movement of mass at a constant speed of light resulted in a change in the mass of bodies as observed by a motionless Observer, produced a General Theory of Relativity that described the movement of bodies in an energy field causing gravity effects. It does not cover all observed gravity and has to be tweaked (some call the change a ‘Fudge Factor’} by a Cosmological Constant.
The latest theory, by a Professor Verlinde, is being studied and shows some promise, but it is strictly theoretical and will be difficult to understand since it is based on the existence of energy not proven to exist.
Is it not apparent that Professor Verlinde is
- starting from a belief in the existence of Dark Matter as presented by Hubble
- based on an existing theory of gravity that doesn’t hold up to scrutiny
- so is reworking the theory of gravity to conform to the latest theory of the universe being composed of Dark Matter.
Circular reasoning!! Not the scientific method of observation – hypothesis – testing – theory.
For now, is it possible for the reader to even consider that your beliefs about space have been shaped by a militaristic government hiding its true objectives in secret budgets to quash objections to crippling taxation?
Maybe your beliefs about God and Creation have likewise been, even subliminally, distorted by the massive amounts of propaganda you’ve been exposed to in the oppositional-defiant approach to God in the educational and entertainment sectors?
Why we went to space
…In the aftermath of the Second World War, the United States and Soviet Union became embroiled in a competitive arms race that saw significant military gains on both sides, eventually culminating in the development of rockets capable of striking enemy territory across the world. The next step for arms superiority jumped from 1) the atmosphere to 2) Low Earth Orbit to 3) the Moon, the ultimate high ground…
The development of space travel didn’t occur in a political vacuum: the drive for the United States to develop rockets and vehicles which could travel higher and faster than their Soviet counterparts happened alongside increasing US/USSR tensions, especially as geopolitical crises such the Cuban Missile Crisis and the US deployment of missiles to Turkey demonstrated how ready each country was to annihilating the other.…
The red hot environment of the Cold War allowed for significant political capital and governmental spending which supported a first-strike infrastructure…
By 1966, the space race peaked: NASA received its highest budget ever, at just under 4.5% of the total US federal budget, at $5.933 billion dollars (around $43 billion today.)…By this point, the social and political infrastructure and support for space had begun to wane…
The urgency which fueled the Cold War arms race had begun to cool, and along with it, the support for much of the efforts required to bring people into space and to the Moon...Other major concerns have redirected US attentions from spaceflight: the United States’ War on Terror, which is expected to cost US taxpayers over $5 trillion dollars in the long run.
There is collateral evidence for the above article’s claim that financial support to return to the moon has dwindled.
But that doesn’t mean that we should conclude that the writer’s claim of loss of financial and social support as the reason we haven’t returned to the moon is accurate. The logic just isn’t there. A high school teacher shouldn’t accept this argument in a 10th grader’s essay.
- We went to the moon in the 1960’s because of the [Cold] War..
- We aren’t going to the moon now because of the War [on Terror].
Come on. Surely there’s a more credible reason? Let’s go straight to the source.
Sixty years ago today [January 31, 2018], the United States launched its first satellite [NOT manned] into space. Dubbed Explorer 1, the spacecraft followed just months after the Soviet Union’s Sputnik 1 and 2 spacecraft commenced the Space Age. Data…recorded by Explorer 1 was humanity’s first glimpse of Earth’s radiation belts, two concentric rings of energetic particles surrounding the planet…named the Van Allen Belts, after James Van Allen, the scientist who led the charge designing the instruments and studying the radiation data from Explorer 1.
The outer belt is made up of billions of high-energy particles that originate from the Sun and become trapped in Earth’s magnetic field…The inner belt results from interactions of cosmic rays with Earth’s atmosphere. Satellites that unwittingly or intentionally venture into the belts can be damaged by the radiation, which could have an impact on unprotected astronauts as well. Understanding the dynamics of this region is essential for protecting technological assets and planning crewed space missions.
“Could have an impact on unprotected astronauts?” “Planning crewed space missions?” Sure sounds like manned space craft haven’t been through the Van Allen Belts yet. I encourage you to listen to NASA’s own public service announcement on Apollo’s replacement, the Orion spacecraft.
We are headed 3600 miles above earth. This is 15 times higher from earth than the International Space Station. As we get further from earth, we’ll pass through the Van Allen Belts, an area of dangerous radiation…But Orion has protection. Shielding will be put to the test as the vehicle cuts through waves of radiation. Sensors aboard will record radiation levels for scientists to study. We must solve these challenges before we send people through these regions of space…It’s time to head home…75 miles above earth, the spacecraft enters the atmosphere…We’re now traveling more than 20,000 miles per hour…An envelope of hot plasma surrounds the vehicle…reaches temperatures of 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit, almost twice as hot as molten lava. This may be the most dangerous part of the flight…A specially constructed heat shield takes the full brunt of the inferno. This is the largest heat shield of its kind ever made…One day people will be aboard, so the deceleration must happen in stages to keep things comfortable for the crew. It takes [three] parachutes [with a combined canopy the size of a football field] to slow our descent, then splashdown. For the first flight, we won’t have astronauts inside.
Don’t overlook the visuals in the film created by NASA to publicize their planned mission. It is so realistic that it could easily be misinterpreted as the real thing.
Like the moon landing, for example. If the moon is over 225,000 miles above earth and the inner and more intense of the two Van Allen radiation belts extends from roughly 600 miles (1,000 km) to 3,700 miles (6,000 km) above the earth, then how did manned spacecraft make it through with the limited technology of the 1960’s? NASA’s own data indicates that America did not have the capability to pull off the reported moon landing in the 1960’s. So what was the point in claiming that it did?
One unarguable scientific fact is that the maps attempting to represent a round globe are KNOWN to be false.
The following information is taken from non-Christian sites. This is not a Creationism argument. This is a long-standing and well-known problem within cartography.
Our maps have been lying to us for centuries.
The standard classroom maps we all learned geography from are based on the Mercator projection, a 16th century rendering that preserved lines used for navigation while hideously distorting the true sizes of continents and oceans further from the equator…
For centuries, cartographers have made numerous attempts to account for the inconsistency…The problem was so widespread that a French mathematician even developed an eponymous equation to quantify the degree of distortion that a map experienced.
The Peters Projection World Map is one of the most stimulating, and controversial, images of the world. When this map was first introduced by historian and cartographer Dr. Arno Peters at a Press Conference in Germany in 1974 it generated a firestorm of debate…The challenge of any world map is to represent a round earth on a flat surface…The Peters Projection is an area accurate map.
Sinusoidal Projection: …succeeds in presenting a more accurate view of the poles, but at the cost of misshapen continents and bent meridians.
Robinson Projection: …pulling out the edges of the map to mimic a sphere…It was used by both Rand McNally and the National Geographic Society at one point.
Bonne Projection: …dates back to the 16th century. The heart shape preserves integrity near the center, but gets progressively more unrealistic as it moves outward.
Armadillo Projection: …keeps the continents in decent shape while causing the oceans to appear smaller, and cutting off half of Australia and all of New Zealand.
The 2016 winner of Japan’s prestigious Good Design,..preserves the true dimensions of the continents by angling them outward instead of stretching them…Their website states that the goal was to create a map better suited to address the problems of the 21st century, including rapidly diminishing sea ice and territorial claims of marine territory, by more accurately depicting what areas near the poles actually look like.
Called the AuthaGraph, the result is a map that looks a little different that most of us are used to…Most importantly, the continents are all rendered as they actually appear. Africa has regained its geographic primacy while North America and Europe are shrunk back to their true sizes. The oceans, too, are finally represented accurately. By breaking longstanding rules governing how the continents and lines of latitude and longitude should appear, Narukawa has achieved a geographically accurate depiction of Earth.
Interesting that the United Nations’ flag had already used the “geographically accurate depiction” of a flat earth, only circular, and with Antarctica represented by the enclosing peace wreath. What do they know that they’re keeping from us?
This United Nations’ layout of the earth, which doesn’t taper the “southern hemisphere”, is the only way that airline flight routes make sense. This fact alone should give any thinking person a scientific reason to question the globe model and consider a flat earth model, with all the subsequent implications about outer space.
This ancient image of a disc earth is consistent with images from ancient astronomically advanced cultures from around the world. Highly educated devotee of ancient cultures Peter Tompkins, in his preface to Mysteries of the Mexican Pyramids, enthuses that
- “One look at the pyramidal structures of Yucatan and Chiapas…is enough to show that they…function as markers for the…transit [movement] …of heavenly bodies;”
- “the ancients accurately measured the size of the earth, mapped it”;
- “The ancient civilizations attached great importance to numbers as an exact language in which physical and spiritual ideals could be expressed and preserved; hence, they built their numbers into buildings”
- which “contain, both in their dimensions and their relative geographical positions, the whole vocabulary of the sacred language of the past”
- “Written across the face of the country in letters of earth and stone the cosmic knowledge of the ancient world is now within reach.”
Then Peter Tompkins needs to embrace the ancient civilizations’ presentation of earth as a disc over which the heavenly bodies move in a geocentric world system.
The following excerpt from the blog Spontaneous Evolution is from a man who is the antithesis of a Bible believer, as in “I love the Goddess.” And yet his perspective on the Flat Earth movement, which may well be antithetical to his world view, bears comparing to the typical Christian’s refusal to question what they are told by their leaders.
People are asking questions: Supporting any group without investigation is pointless…[but] we are conditioned to move with the herd so its nothing to feel bad or embarrassed about. These movements, like the conspiracy movement is forcing people to investigate for themselves. Even if they find warped evidence, or arrive at incorrect conclusions, I still think the point is people are asking questions, and I would imagine over time their skills of analysis and research would greatly improve. One learns nothing by simply being spoon fed information.
Blind defense of the globe model: 99.99% of people who read this will not be able to prove it’s round. They can refer to NASA or pictures in school books but do not personally have the skills to prove we live on a globe…Why do we defend an idea or strangers we have no direct investment in? We are terrified of having our safe comfortable view of the world challenged…Unlike other conspiracies this is the first time that I notice the conspiracy side, the flat earthers calmer and better researched by far, than the round earthers.
Most importantly: I also see these Flat Earthers as potentially an early indication of who are coming of age on this planet ehhhhh or plane…Will the next generation be awake enough to realise that they are responsible for their own lives, their money, their health and most crucially their education? A critical thinking population will analyse and assess every subject thrown at it, that may mean subjects you consider wacky and a waste of time, it may also mean subjects you may consider of the utmost importance. Put the subject of the flat earth to one side for a moment, we need thinkers, we need readers and researchers. We need people who are not afraid to be ridiculed, to stand out from the mob.
The following excerp from Scientific Proof Is A Myth is not from a Creationism author, but from Forbes magazine.
You’ve heard of our greatest scientific theories: the theory of evolution, the Big Bang theory, the theory of gravity. You’ve also heard of the concept of a proof, and the claims that certain pieces of evidence prove the validities of these theories. Fossils, genetic inheritance, and DNA prove the theory of evolution. The Hubble expansion of the Universe, the evolution of stars, galaxies, and heavy elements, and the existence of the cosmic microwave background prove the Big Bang theory. And falling objects, GPS clocks, planetary motion, and the deflection of starlight prove the theory of gravity.
Except that’s a complete lie. While they provide very strong evidence for those theories, they aren’t proof. In fact, when it comes to science, proving anything is an impossibility.
Even in theoretical physics, the most mathematical of all the sciences, our “proofs” aren’t on entirely solid ground. If the assumptions we make no longer apply…we’ll “prove” something that turns out not to be true. If someone tells you a scientific theory has been proven, you should ask what they mean by that. Normally, they mean “they’ve convinced themselves that this thing is true,”…
So don’t try to prove things; try to convince yourself…Every scientific theory will someday fail…the best ones succeed for the longest amounts of time and over the greatest ranges possible…it’s the most correct description of the physical world humanity has ever imagined.
Since true science can only describe the observable states of being in the physical, social, and psychological domains, even they admit that leaves out a great deal of invisible reality. Even what can be observed is limited by the available tools, and, well, the availability of the matter to be observed, which anything that happened in the past is not. You must admit that scientific theories are unreliable, always in flux, old theories discarded and replaced by new ones as new evidence comes to light.
After achieving a few minor technological breakthroughs in the 19th century “oppositions of science falsely so called” (I Timothy 6:20) factored God out of the observable order and design of the physical world and substituted the Big Bang and evolution as the totally evidence-less and never observed processes using circular reasoning and contradicting all accepted scientific methods of deriving a theory to propose processes that inexplicably overcame the scientifically proven and patently obvious process of entropy / degeneration that occurs constantly, but with billions of years the unscientific process of spontaneous generation inexplicably reversed the process of degeneration and inexplicably resulted in an unimaginably complex and interdependent universe through randomness despite the component parts being unable to come into being or be sustained without the existence of the other parts which couldn’t come into being or be sustained without the existence of…
The theory of evolution is not science. It requires the ultimate suspension of disbelief, the necessary explanation for people desperate to deny the existence and very essence of God whose laws – inevitable cause-effect relationships – of physical and human nature encompassing body, soul and spirit – physics, psychology, morality – must be obeyed or bad things will happen. Has not 6,000 years of human experimentation in revolting against fundamental laws of nature proven that?
Darwin’s evolution is one of the many 19th century humanist philosophies, the necessary alternative explanation for how we and the world around us came into Being and continuously Becomes.
Belief in physical evolution inevitably leads to belief in psychological evolution – self-improvement without a Higher Power’s guidance or empowerment.
[Abraham] Maslow maintains that self-actualization is everything a person can become, an ultimate achievement. But we can’t see what we can become because we are dominated by whatever need pulls at us. Maslow is well known for his hierarchical depiction of deficit and growth needs which offer a path of learning, of becoming. Becoming necessitates constant venturing into the unknown. It suggests the ability to move toward, or maintain, being, a means of moving with life’s experiences by saturating yourself in each moment and, at the same time, by completely letting go of each moments. It is an unfolding. The conditions of your life emanate from that instant.
Self-evolving is a belief system for people who actively or unwittingly put their faith in 19th century’s Immanuel Kant’s preaching that “Enlightenment is man’s emergence from his self-imposed… inability to use one’s understanding without guidance from another,” and proclaiming with 19th century’s Neitzsche that “God is dead!” Uhmmm, so how’s that been working out through the 20th century, “the bloodiest in history”?
“Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.” (Psalm 2:1-3)
When science itself disproved the Big Bang and evolution, it fell back into trusting in the old gods, repackaged as aliens from outer space, which obviously just ignores the question of their origins. How is that highly educated men can believe in more highly advanced beings in outer space but refuse to believe in a Designer of a most evidently designed and maintained world?
Ahh, it’s that bottom line conclusion – who’s in charge, then, of my life? Scientists and politicians delude themselves into believing the “more highly advanced beings” will graciously share their knowledge and power with earthlings, because they know for a fact there is no alliance with an all-powerful owner of this world and all that is in it, only submission to his Design.
And while we’re on that subject, what payment do you think these alien beings will demand of their political allies? Oh yes, enslavement of the masses. Those who survive being cleared out because they’re not deemed fit for their use, that is. Sounds like rabid conspiracy? No, it’s not only ancient history but recent news and it’s current policy.
The unchanging Bible explains physical science as well as invisible, spiritual, other-dimensional states of being, the past as well as the future. We are honest when we acknowledge that we can’t scientifically determine these states of being, we can only know whatever is communicated to us by someone who was there and capable himself of understanding the states of being – if he chooses to have a word with us. We rationally choose to put our faith in both honestly conducted science and God’s Word when we honestly examine the evidence provided in both realms.
For example, over thousands of years the Bible has proven itself to be accurate. “Mathematicians have calculated the odds of Jesus fulfilling only 8 of the [approximately 300] Messianic prophecies as 1 out of 1017 (a 1 followed by 17 zeros). This is equivalent to covering the entire state of Texas with silver dollars 2 feet deep, marking one of them, mixing them all up and having a blindfolded person select the marked one at random the first time – What Are The Odds?”
- The Bible reports that matter was created by energy and sound.
“…the Spirit of God moved [kinetic energy]…And God said [sound waves] Let there be light…” (Gen 1)
This ancient revelation has only recently been confirmed by theoretical physicists. Einstein is famous for the equation “E=mc2 which established that energy (E) can be converted into matter (m) when acted upon by light (c2). Recently physicists have empirically demonstrated this.
2) The Bible reports that God made and maintains the “worlds” (note the reference to multiple universes, see String Theory below) by speaking material substance into existence.
“God…Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son…by whom also he made the worlds…and upholding all things by the word of his power,” (Heb 1:1-3)
Currently physicists are exploring how resonance, a quality of sound, holds together everything in the universe. Observation of the macro effect of sound vibrations on tiny particles of matter gives some insight into this micro physics phenomenon.
3) The Bible reports that seemingly solid substance is actually composed of invisible force fields.
“Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the [spoken] word [which we have above noted is a form of energy] of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.” (Heb 11:3)
All objects in our universe are composed of vibrating filaments (strings) and membranes (branes) of energy…
Several extra (usually unobservable) dimensions to the universe must exist…
There are also possible…parallel universes…
scientists can use the fact that humanity exists as an explanation for certain physical properties of our universe.
Our universe could be “stuck” on a brane…
Stating that science validates the Bible does not elevate science over faith. It confirms that reality / truth is not hidden, God has revealed it to establish our faith.
Faith is not blindly accepting what we don’t understand. It is not the opposite of reason. It is the end result of reason. Faith is rationally acting on a reported unknown future after determining the credibility of the source through their previous reports of the known past.
The opposite of faith is determined blindness against God’s evident power and authority. The known world proves the existence and nature of God, in whom we then choose, or not, to place our faith for the unknowable and uncontrollable aspects of our own lives.
“The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.” (Psalm 19:1-3)
The oldest book in the Bible is usually treated as a lesson in suffering, but it teaches a much more fundamental lesson. Job is the archetype of every individual who questions the nature of God and his relationship to humanity. He asks the questions every single individual needs to find out. “Are you there? What are you like? Do I matter to you? Can you get me out of this mess I’m in from breaking fundamental laws of human nature (AKA sin)? Is there life after death?”
“What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him? And that thou shouldest visit him every morning, and try him every moment? How long wilt thou not depart from me, nor let me alone till I swallow down my spittle? I have sinned; what shall I do unto thee, O thou preserver of men? why hast thou set me as a mark against thee, so that I am a burden to myself? And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away my iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be.” (Job 7:17-21)
Significantly – most significantly – God responds by directing Job’s attention to Creation. If we are going to get acquainted with God and enter into a relationship with him, we have to start at the beginning.
Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?…And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed? Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place; That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? (Job 38:1-13)
Read God’s entire answer to Job beginning in chapter 38 and notice how it parallels the account of creation in Genesis 1. We can only begin to know God’s character and interest in us by accepting him as an Omnipotent and Omniscient Creator of ourselves and a world that was made for us that is not only Being but Becoming.
This is the fundamental biblical Flat/Enclosed Earth argument, which is beyond the scope of this post. You can explore that topic or not as you choose. More on this topic as its significance comes into play with the narrative.
“Then Job answered the LORD and said, Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth. Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further. Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said, Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be right-(eous)?…Then Job answered the LORD, and said, I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee. Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me. I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.“ (Job 38:1-4) 40:1-8, 42:1-6)
It is often taught that God never answered Job’s question “Why?”. I disagree. Ever work in an organization where there are office politics and rivals and pitfalls and back room maneuverings to climb the ladder? There is no orientation manual we can read to educate us beyond policies and procedures to the relational aspects of our job. It is only through shared experiences that we develop a more knowledgeable and effective working and personal relationship with our boss. As we come to understand his motives, objectives and boundaries we no longer have to have every detail of our assigned tasks spelled out. We are entrusted with responsibility to handle problems by applying his thoughts and his ways to our responses. And we often have to take a hit as we cover his back during a strategic move by power-seeking adversaries. Yes, sometimes it feels like we have been abandoned, but when you think about how much trust our boss / God is putting in us, it’s very uplifting.
The book of Job, like any book, begins with, then wraps up with, a thesis. At the beginning we are informed that God and Satan begin a game of Risk. Then consider the last piece of information God gives Job as he replies to his questions, at the end of an entire chapter devoted to his adversary. “…he is a king over all the children of pride.” (Job 41:34) Hint, hint! We’re in a battle for total domination!
And Job gets it. Genesis hasn’t been compiled by Moses yet, but the account has been passed down the generations, as Job’s faith in the promised destruction of the seed of the serpent by the seed of the woman proves.
“For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand [stance of victory] at the latter day upon the earth:” (Job 19:25)
When God pointedly draws Job’s attention to Leviathan/ crooked serpent/ dragon/ Satan, Job’s response is, “I know [now] that thou canst do every thing” even deliver me from evil, for thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory (Matthew 6:13) and keep me from falling, and to present me faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy (Jude 1:24)…”I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee [in action]. (Job 42:2,5)
Job had previously “known about” God, but now he “knows God.” Job’s personal experience brought him into a personal relationship with “the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.” Jude 1:25)
So it must be with every person who would be on good terms with God. Our faith in God starts with accepting that he is the Creator and Lord of all, develops through listening to his messengers like Eli-hu / My God-he [is], but must progress beyond that to a personal repentance of our resistance to, and a conversion to submission to his authority, which is the only possible right-eous relationship we can have with him.
“…I [Job] abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath.“ (Job 42:6-7)
“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.” (Romans 8:18-22)
How is it that scientists who deny intelligence behind the origin of life on earth preach the need for very high intelligence to deal with potential end-of-the-earth catastrophes in the maintenance of this complex earth by inventing a new Environmental Science as an interdisciplinary study in the fields of ecology, biology, physics, chemistry, zoology, mineralogy, oceanology, limnology, soil science, geology, atmospheric science, and geodesy, all of which dependent upon and impact each other?
It’s that simple. Either this universe was created and brought into existence with all the interdependent parts put into place by an unimaginably powerful being whose attributes are beyond our comprehension and who we can only glimpse as he reveals himself to u, or it happened by chance against all odds and against all scientific principles and observed processes. Which is harder to believe?
I trust that you question the veracity of what you encounter in the news, education and advertising, then you evaluate it. “It is very easy to mock, ridicule and dismiss an argument. Taking the time to give a well thought out and carefully reasoned response however, is another story.”
Especially when it comes to biblical truths. I propose that you treat the literature of the Bible with the same consideration. Keep an open mind when you encounter statements that are contrary to your existing paradigm, and study enough of it to evaluate its claims. Make up your mind what to believe after you’ve given the alternatives a fair hearing.