Key Precept: Biblical prophecy is not hard to understand when we believe Gods says what he means and means what he says
“there is a God in heaven that…maketh known…what shall be in the latter days…
- Thou, O king, art a king of kings: for the God of heaven hath given thee a kingdom, power, and strength, and glory…Thou art this head of gold.
- And after thee shall arise another kingdom inferior to thee
- and another third kingdom of brass, which shall bear rule over all the earth.
- And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise. And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters’ clay, and part of iron…they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men…
- And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.” (Daniel 2:28-45)
We can track the continued existence of the Fourth Empire through the Adversary’s mystery religions and political cabals by comparing his claims with biblical prophecy. Which have come to pass in history? Biblical prophecy, providing us with confidence that the last episode will also come about.
And one of those claims, accepted by many ostensibly Bible-believing fundamentalist Christians, is that the “revived” Roman Empire of New Testament times will signal the End Times.
In the prophetic eyes of God, the Roman Empire…fell from world dominion but…a confederacy or union of leadership will arise out of a revival of the remains of the Roman Empire to step into the prophecy role that leads to fulfillment of the Last Days prophecies.
The European Union has risen up from the remains of the Roman Empire so to lead the world into the Great Tribulation.
The truth, expressed in simple sentences by Daniel, is not that there is a “revived Roman Empire”, but that the end of time occurs “in the days of these kings”. The fourth kingdom isn’t a sole proprietor. All four kingdoms remain in existence and active, from their beginning to the present time until the last day, as each successive kingdom absorbs the previous kingdoms into an ever expanding territorial reach coinciding with an expanding world population.
- 605 BC Nebuchadnezzar becomes king of Babylon
- 539 BC Cyrus, king of Persia, incorporates Babylon into Persia
- 331 BC Alexander the Great incorporates Babylon and Persia into Greece
- 146 BC The Greek peninsula fell to the Roman Republic
- 64 BC Pompey incorporates Greek Syria, expanding Roman frontier to the Euphrates
- 33 BC Mark Antony occupies Persian territory
- 166 AD Trajan incorporates Babylon into the Roman Empire
A Brief History of World Wars
As we add the narrative into the timeline of world empires, we discover that that these are not isolated biblical entities of interest only to students of eschatology. These are the governments that created the world as we know it today. And they all trace back to Babylon.
The land between the Euphrates and Tigris rivers is called the Cradle of Civilization because it is the birthplace of the oldest civilization in the world. The Sumerian, which can be credibly traced back to the pre-flood world-wide civilization, became the Mother of All Civilizations, giving birth to the first true world empire in the 1800’s BC. The Mother of All Empires pushed forth Nimrod’s objective at the Tower of Babel – to bring all humanity together under the rule of the gods.
- 500’s BC absorbed into the Persian Empire led by Cyrus the Great.
- 330’s BC absorbed into Greek Empire by Alexander the Great who rules from Babylon
- 166 AD absorbed into the Roman empire
- 600’s BC absorbed into the Arabic Islamic Empire
- 1500’s AD absorbed into the Turkish Ottoman Empire
- World War I aftermath absorbed by British Empire
- 1932 became an independent country called Iraq
- 2003 taken under control by the United States
- The U.S. Institute of Peace has worked without interruption in Iraq since 2003 and maintains offices in Baghdad and Erbil.
- The U.S. Mission in Iraq is dedicated to our enduring strategic partnership with the Government of Iraq and the Iraqi people…Iraq is now a key partner for the United States in the region…The United States maintains vigorous and broad engagement with Iraq on diplomatic, political, economic, and security issues in accordance with the U.S.-Iraq Strategic Framework Agreement (SFA)…$7.0 billion of Iraqi exports to the United States, almost entirely consisting of crude oil…On the margins of the August 2020 bilateral Strategic Dialogue the Government of Iraq signed MOUs totaling $8 billion in potential deals with U.S. companies.
- 550 BC Achaemenid dynasty founded by Cyrus the Great.
- 330’s BC conquest of Alexander the Great from Greece, ruled by Parthian dynasty, then the Sassanian dynasty.
- 33 AD occupied by Roman Empire
- 661 AD Arabs conquer and bring Islam
- 1500’s local dynasties fend off Ottoman Empire
- 1901 British Empire assumes control through exclusive oil concession of Anglo-Persian Oil Company
- 1946 The United States assumes control from war-impoverished Great Britain
- 1941 – Winston Churchill and Josef Stalin ally to depose Reza Shah, replacing him with their puppet, his 20-year-old son Mohammed Reza Pahlavi who allows their two nations to occupy Iran and protect oil essential for the war effort for the duration of World War II.
- 1946 – President Truman ousts the Soviet Union by threatening nuclear attacks
- 1949 – The American CIA funds hundreds of mercenaries who overthrow democratically elected Iranian Parlimentary leader Mossedegh and props up and increasingly autocratic Shah when the democratically elected Iranian parliament nationalizes the petroleum industry after calls for the same 50-50 profits split arranged with Venezuela and Saudi Arabia were refused by the British.
- 1954 – Three U.S. petroleum giants are included in a new international oil consortium established by the Shah.
- 1955 – The United States places electronic surveillance posts along Iran’s northern border with Russia.
- 1957 – The CIA helps the Shah set up the SAVAK (a Farsi acronym for State Information and Security Organization), systematically silencing all opposition to his autocracy by imprisoning and torturing thousands of anti-Pahlavi activists.
- 1964 – Ruhollah Khomeini, a 61-year-old ayatollah is exiled by the Shah when he ridicules the Shah as a U.S. puppet.
- 1972 – 1977 – The U.S. sells $13 billion worth of military weapons to the Shah as America’s partner in the Persian Gulf.
- 1978 – 1979 – After Iranian troops injure thousands and kill hundreds of Iranian citizens gathered in the streets protesting wasteful military spending and demanding democratic reforms, the US accepts his unavoidable exile, and Ayatollah Khomeini returns to Iran vowing to cleanse the country of all remaining influences of “the Great Satan”. That’s the United States, not the Shah. When the Shah arrives in New York City, suspecting another CIA-backed conspiracy as had happened with Mossesdegh, Iranian students storm the U.S. embassy and take 53 American diplomats hostage for 444 days.
- 1980 – 1988 – U.S. provides Saddam Hussein with aircraft and satellite reconnaissance of battlefields in the Iran-Iraq War which claims half a million lives, two-thirds of them Iranian.
- 2003 – American-controlled Coalition Provisional Authority in Baghdad faces opposition from Iranian intelligence working closely with Shi’a militants in Iraq waging a guerrilla war against American presence and control
- 2005 – America becomes the target of a jihad by newly elected hard-line Islamist who vows to make Iran a nuclear power as soon as possible.
- Currently – The governments of America and Iran continue to view each other with fear and suspicion well into the second decade of the new millennium. If history repeats itself, Iran, like Iraq, will be brought under American control by war, not diplomacy.
Greece – Europe
Concurrent with the timeline for Mesopotamia, excavations show ancient settlements in Greece dating prior to 3,000 BC, i.e. before the Flood, with rapid resettlement after the Flood by identifiably unique cultures called the Minoans (2600-1500 BC), the Mycenaeans (1500-1150 BC) and the Cycladics.
- ~1300 BC – Trojan War between city states of Troy in Asia Minor and Sparta in mainland Greece.
- 400’s BC – the foundations of western civilization were created [emphasis added] in Athens with all domains of culture, including philosophy, music, drama, rhetoric and even a new regime called democracy. It is not exaggerating to say that this period changed the history of the world…
- 400’s BC – Herodotus, Father of History, compiles first extensive history from oral traditions, reflects Greece’s world-wide trading extent, focuses on Greek-Persian wars.
- 300’s BC – Alexander the Great conquers the Persian Empire, rules from Babylon, spread Greek culture throughout Mesopotamia.
- 100’s BC – Greece absorbed into the Roman Empire
- 66 AD – The Roman Emperor Nero visited Greece and performed at the Ancient Olympic Games, despite the rules against non-Greek participation, and was honored with a victory in every contest, returning the favor by proclaiming the freedom of the Greeks, which changed their status from conquered peoples to citizens with rights. The Pax Romana was the longest period of peace in Greek history, and
- 100’s AD – The apostle Paul of Tarsus (a Greek city-state in Asia Minor) preached in Philippi, Corinth and Athens, and Greece soon became one of the most highly Christianized areas of the empire.
- 300’s AD – Constantinople relocates the primary seat of Roman government to Greece.
Rome – Straddling East and West
- ~1300 A spin-off from the legendary accounts of the Trojan War is that Aeneas, a prince of Troy, second only to Hector in heroism, was the son of Aphrodite. After the destruction of Troy, the Aeneas traveled to the frontier of civilization where he founded the settlement that became Rome.
- 700’s BC – Homer’s epic poems are written down and circulated among Greek colonies on the Italian peninsula, appropriated in later years by Latins to buff up their image as hayseed latecomers to culture.
- 753 BC – Rhea, daughter of a rustic king, was confined to the pagan equivalent of a nunnery by her uncle after he had deposed her father / his older brother, the king, to prevent the birth of a rival claimant to the throne. Nevertheless, the god Mars impregnated her, and she gave birth to the twins Romulus and Remus. Despite attempts to drown them in the Tiber, they miraculously washed ashore and were suckled by a she-wolf until found and raised by a shepherd family. They became leaders of a band of warriors, killed the usurper and restored the throne to their grandfather. After killing his brother, Romulus founded his own settlement, naming it Rome after himself. Like his counterpart King David of Israel, fugitives, outlaws and exiles were his initial subjects. In what was apparently a common practice at that time, he ensured the continuity of his tribe by the Rape, AKA Abduction, of the Sabine Women. This, like the similar incident triggering the Trojan War, led to a series of wars between neighboring city states.
- 509 BC – overthrow of the kings and the early Roman Republic (509–264 BCE)
- 450’s BC – The Decem-viri, Latin for “ten men” primarily but not uniquely designating the landmark commission that resolved the the two-hundred-year civil conflict between the patricians – the land holding wealthy aristocracy who had developed into the upper class by monopolising the priesthoods, which played an important part in the politics- and the plebeians – the commoners, increasing numbers of whom had become enslaved, often for life, through the practice of imposing slavery to the landowners as a penalty for indebtedness to the landowners. The Decemviri prepared 10 tables of law based on the laws of Athens, which established the foundation for all subsequent Roman law. (One possible interpretation, not to the exclusion of others, of the ten toes of the Statue of Empires.) However, no real power was transferred to the plebs under an increasingly powerful aristocracy.
- Unlike their Greek counterparts, Rome was able to subjugate her rival city-states and united them under the single banner of the city of Rome…transforming Rome into a sophisticated and powerful fighting force….the Roman military machine which was able to conquer and subjugate…to expand to…the largest empire of the ancient world.
- 168 BC and onwards, the Romans absorbs Greek city-states and culture. The Greek language served as a lingua franca in the Roman Empire. The Romans read the classical philosophers and base their religion on the Olympian gods. Greece is a major crossroads of maritime trade between Mediterranean Rome and the eastern half of the empire.
- 27 BC – the establishment of the Roman Empire. Julius Caesar and Augustus Caesar claimed descent from the demi-god Aeneas.
- 33 AD Persia occupied by Roman Empire
- 166 AD Babylon absorbed into the Roman empire
So what about that two-legged feature?
Feet and toes: first view of revived Rome
The terms Western Roman Empire and Eastern Roman Empire were coined in modern times… contemporary Romans did not consider the Empire to have been split into two separate empires but viewed it as a single polity governed by two separate imperial courts as an administrative expediency.
285 – First division into administrative jurisdictions under one Emperor
Rome’s federation was instituted first as the Tetrarchy, or Four Rulers, in AD 285 by Diocletian, the notorious persecutor of Christians, in response to the Crisis of the 3rd century. This was a fifty year period during which the Empire nearly collapsed from invasion, civil war, plague, and economic depression. You know the Christians were expecting Christ’s return at any moment back then. And didn’t Constantine show up and save the day.
324 – Constantine the Great
During the Crisis, a child was born, a son was given: and the government was put upon his shoulder: and his name was called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Prince of Peace, The Everlasting, Undeviating, Constant-ine. By the way, these are all characteristics of Apollo.
Constantine’s father raised himself to the rank of Augustus / god-endowed senior emperor. After his death, Constantine emerged victorious in a series of civil wars against rival Emperors to become sole ruler of the Empire by 324 AD. This began a New World Order under the Roman Empire as Constantine
- established dynastic succession,
- strengthened the empire with many administrative, financial, social, and military reforms,
- controlled inflation with a new gold coin which became the standard European currency for more than a thousand years,
- chose to rule from Byzantium, which became known as the New Rome.
476 -The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
When the barbarian Odoacer deposed the sitting Western Emperor Romulus Augustus Zeno he wisely restrained his ambitions to being crowned King of one state in the Empire, like Herod had been King of Judea. “the Senate in Rome sent an embassy to the Eastern Emperor and bestowed upon him the Western imperial insignia. The message was clear: the West no longer required a separate Emperor, for “one monarch sufficed [to rule] the world”. In response, Zeno accepted his submission… conferred upon Odoacer the title of Patrician and granted him legal authority to govern Italy in the name of Rome.” Odoacer settled so many Germanic tribes into Roman territories, granting them Roman citizenship, that he and his successors were henceforth called the “King of the Germans.” Now there’s a clue.
(Odoacer’s coins struck in the name of Emperor Zeno, testifying to the formal submission of Odoacer to Zeno.)
From 527-565 Emperor Justinian in Constantinople devoted his reign to restoring Roman rule to all its old expanse, much of which had been seized by Germanic tribes fleeing the Hun invasion of their northern European homelands. Justinian’s general, Belisarius, considered an equal with such military genii as Alexander, Julius Caesar and Napoleon, took northern Africa from the Vandals, reclaimed Italy from the Goths, and fought the Persians. The Code of Justinian systematized the confused accumulation of Roman laws and remained in force for a thousand years, becoming the foundation of all modern European and Neo-European (American, Canadian, Australian) legal systems. Believing that religious unity was indispensable to political unity, Justinian incorporated his version of Christianity into the Code, punishing heresy by death.
600 – Islamic element added, and it grows, and it grows
Muhammad c. 570 CE – 8 June 632 CE), the founder of Islam, claimed to be God’s Messenger, the final prophet of God sent to restore orthodox monotheism previously preached by Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus. Maybe Muhammad was a true believer, a Hebrew. We don’t know because, like Jesus, he didn’t leave any of his own writings behind. We can believe that his successors, like corrupt Christian leaders, distorted any true message while writing the Koran to suit their power grabs. Certainly the immediate split into Shi’ite and Sunni sects support this logic.
It is easy enough to see Antichrist in Pseudo-Christian rulers like Constantine who reshaped our Judeo-Christian heritage. We also need to recognize Antichrist in the monotheistic Muslim rulers who recognize but overrule the authority of the Bible.
Islam’s jihad, or holy war, is not about religious orthodoxy. It is about becoming the god of this world’s overlords of the Fourth Empire. From the 600s onward, the “Eastern” Roman Empire stretched from the Black Sea to the Atlantic and waxed and waned from its home base of Asia Minor, Greece and Eastern Europe over Germany, France, Italy and Spain
Middle Ages – Conquering and to conquer
Invasions and mass migrations during the Middle Ages caused massive redistribution of power, reflected in the rise and fall of claimants for legal succession of pieces of the Roman Empire. Don’t be misled by some of the labels on the maps. “‘Byzantine Empire’ is a term created after the end of the realm; its citizens continued to refer to themselves as Romans and to their empire as the Roman Empire or Romania, which means “citizens of Rome.”
The Emperor ruling from Constantinople was still the highest power in an intact though disorganized Roman Empire when in 800 the current King of the Germans, Charlemagne, did aspire to resume equal status. Of course the Eastern Emperor did not authorize the elevation of this upstart, so Charlemagne had himself crowned Roman Emperor by the Pope on Christmas Day 800. (Remember, that’s the day for celebrating the birth of the sun god.) In so doing, he and his heirs were not denying the title to the ruler in Constantinople, they sought in many ways to make themselves accepted by the Easterners as their co-regents and peers.
In 962 Otto I was crowned, in German, “Römisch-Deutscher Kaiser” of this western section of the Roman Empire. Within a century, following the religious East-West Schism of 1054, this was considered by the Roman Catholic Church to be the only legal successor of the Roman Empire, and so the realm was merely referred to as the Roman Empire.
In 1157 under Frederick I Barbarossa the word “Holy” was added to reflect Frederick’s ambition to dominate Italy and the Papacy. In 1512 the name was officially changed to Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation.
Age of Empires
In 1453 Mehmet II “the Conqueror”, took Constantinople, the gateway to Europe, and Islam surged into Christendom.
Like conquerors before him, Mehmet II claimed the European title Kayser-i Rûm, i.e. Caesar of Rome, and emperor. All subsequent Sultans of the Ottoman Empire kept Kayser-i Rum as one of their many titles.
The Ottoman Empire was an absolute monarchy during much of its existence. By the second half of the fifteenth century, the sultan sat at the apex of a hierarchical system and acted in political, military, judicial, social, and religious capacities under a variety of titles. He was theoretically responsible only to God and God’s law (the Islamic شریعت şeriat, known in Arabic as شريعة sharia), of which he was the chief executor. His heavenly mandate was reflected in Islamic titles such as “shadow of God on Earth”.
The Islamic ruler was absolutely the equivalent of the Christian ruler.
The First World War was a disaster for the Ottoman Empire which was utterly dismantled. The last Ottoman Kayser-i Rum was Mehmed VI who was deposed in 1922 by the newly formed government of Turkey.
Several polities have claimed immediate continuity with the Roman Empire…The most enduring and significant claimants of continuation of the Roman Empire have been, in the East, the Byzantine Empire followed after 1453 by the Ottoman Empire; and in the West, the Holy Roman Empire from 800 to 1806. The abolition of the Ottoman sultanate in 1922 may thus be viewed as the moment when the Roman Empire ceased to continuously exist.
But there are alternative views to the continuous existence of the Roman Empire.
Around 900 Simeon I of Bulgaria fought his way to official Byzantine recognition as Emperor / Tsar of the Bulgarians. This title was used by Bulgarian heads of state until the monarchy was abolished in 1946.
After the fall of Constantinople in 1453, the heir to the Byzantine throne, Andreas Palaiologos, found refuge in the West where his title and claim to be a rightful Emperor of Rome was recognized of course recognized by the Christian Western powers. Desperate for living expenses, like Esau he sold his inheritance, including his title and imperial rights, to the French kings, where they gathered dust, then bequeathed them at his death to their greatest rivals for power, the Spaniards.
This officially elevated King Ferdinand, married to Queen Isabella/Jezebel, into a legitimate Emperor of Rome.
In 1492 the Catholic Monarchs conquered the Kingdom of Granada in southern Spain, the last Muslim territory in the Iberian peninsula. The unification of Spain is marked from this date…Following the Spanish explorations and settlement in the Caribbean, Spanish conquest of Mexico and the Spanish conquest of Peru, the crown established high courts…and viceroyalties…with the viceroy (vice-king) and the Audiencias the effective administrators of royal policy.
These are the rulers who had just expanded their empire into the New World. (Map shows Spanish Empire in red and Portuguese in blue during union of their empires 1581-1640.)
In the early 1700’s the Spanish monarchy passed to the House of Habsburg under King Charles I – who just happened to be also the Holy Roman Emperor as Charles V, thereby uniting the eastern and western sections of the entire Roman empire.
The Germanic Holy Roman Empire was dissolved on paper in 1806 when its territories were taken over by Napoleon Bonaparte, shown in the map in blue with green allies. He also forced Charles IV and his son Ferdinand VII to abdicate, and placed his older brother Joseph Bonaparte on the throne of Spain. This consolidated both East and West branches of the Roman Empire under Napoleon.
While modestly calling himself Emperor of France, Napoleon identified himself as Emperor of Rome by having himself crowned with both a replica of Charlemagne’s Roman Emperor crown and a Roman laurel wreath. He also conferred on his son the title King of Rome, which is, like the official designation of the heir to the throne of England ,”Prince of Wales,” the official designation of the heir to the Roman Empire.
The Third Rome
Separately from claims of continuation…various attempts to revive it or appropriate its legacy…have used the vocabulary of a “Third Rome” (the “First Rome” and “Second Rome” being, respectively, Rome in modern Italy and Constantinople in the Byzantine Empire) to convey their assertions of legitimate succession…
In 1547, acknowledging the long-term loss of Constantinople and surrounds to the Ottoman Turks, and in defiance of the European rulers’ claim, the Russian ruler assumed the title of Caesar / Tsar and, supported by the Orthodox Christian Church, transferred the seat of the eastern government of the Roman Empire from Constantinople to Moscow as the Third Rome.
Lenin’s Russian Revolution of 1917 put an end to the Roman-ov dynasty (yes, that means son or family of the Roman) and title of Tzar in Russia, but not to the role of an Imperator driven to conquer the world.
Beginning in 1923, early-twentieth century German nationalists and Nazi propaganda would identify the Holy Roman Empire as the First Reich (Reich meaning empire), with the German Empire as the Second Reich and Nazi Germany as the Third Reich.
This brings us up to the middle of the 20th Century. Since the Bible states categorically that this fourth kingdom endures to the end of human rulers, there must be a trail yet to be discovered. If the continuation of the fourth empire of Daniel’s prophecy to the end of ungodly human government can be believed – and it is certainly credible given the track record at least up until at least through WW1I – we must recognize the essential features of the Roman Empire. We can recognize its core continued existence regardless of reduction and expansion of territories, incorporation of different cultures, even name changes.
“the fourth [last] kingdom upon earth
- shall be diverse from all kingdoms
- shall devour the whole earth
- shall tread it down
- and break it in pieces
But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion…And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him.” (Daniel 7:19-27)
- The key feature of the fourth empire is that it gobbles up territory and stomps down whatever it can’t incorporate. The exceedingly dreadful, warmongering beast at any point in time in the last 2,000 years is whichever part of the roiling Roman Empire controls the greatest amount of the world at that time.
- Its diversity from the previous three empires is that it legitimizes its rule, not through dynastic descent, but by the institutions inherited from the Roman Republic, Even in the guise of democratic voting, the ultimate source of power is Might makes Right.
- The capital of Roman Empire was not always the city of Rome. Byzantium surpassed Rome as the center of government in the early 300’s and in 402 Ravenna replaced Rome in Italy for a time.
- The Christianization of the Roman Empire redefined the religious authority of the Emperor, who still remained the protector of the new state religion.
Identifying the Fourth Empire in the 20th Century
After Napoleon was frozen out of his bid to incorporate the eastern (Russian) section of the empire, losing the western to the British at the Battle of Waterloo, the Germans reclaimed control of Europe. They bolstered their historical dynastic right by retrospectively calling Charlemagne’s first German-centered empire “The First” Reich and the renewed German Empire “The Second” Reich. When this was dissolved in World War I by the abdication of Kaiser Wilhelm, it was replaced by Hitler’s “Third” Reich. “It is well known that the economic crisis in Germany following World War I led directly to the rise of the Nazi Party whose platform was to rekindle World War.” And that he fully intended to take over the eastern territories as well.
Although Hitler did not call himself Kaiser, the identification of his empire with the two previous empires certainly identified him with the previous emperors / Kaisers. Just as Caesar left republican Rome’s Senate intact, just powerless, likewise Hitler left the Weimar Republic’s Reichstag intact, just gutted.
That leaves only the post-War era to account for. Who took over the greatest expanse of world power?
One country that is ruled out as a contender by “Bible believing Christians” is the United States.
America is not mentioned in the prophecies because the Rapture will have taken place…hundreds of millions of Christians will have vanished – causing enormous consternation among those who remain…
perhaps the United States may not be mentioned in Scripture because it might be devastated by a nuclear war…“The possibilities of it have never been greater,” says Laurie…
“I personally believe that the reason the U.S. is not mentioned in end time prophecy,” says Reagan, “is because we will suddenly cease to be a world power and will therefore play no significant role in end time events.”
“The destruction of American power is most likely to occur in two stages,” writes Reagan. “The first could be an economic catastrophe that will result from our out-of-control debt situation. Our god is the dollar and the Lord is going to destroy that god when the weight of our debt collapses our economy.” In such a scenario, writes Graff, “America will have suffered a financial collapse by the time of the last days, and would still exist, but not be a superpower. That is exactly what many political and financial analysts are saying about our current course. The United States will not be gone in the last days. We will just not be worth mentioning.”
The problem with the above consideration is that it is nothing but speculation. It discredits itself by
- ignoring that the other modern nations are not mentioned by name either,
- and while attributing their historical roots to their current identities does not attribute America’s European roots to her current identity.
Let’s continue reviewing history to see if it jives with biblical prophecy.
During the Civil War almost the entire population of those who were of military age in both the South and North [bore arms].
The scales of the armies were enormous…in a single battle there might be 100,000 men on each side, and casualty rates ran as high as 20 to 25 percent. Cities were razed. Thousands of prisoners of war starved to death. And many were simply shot and left to die on the roadside…
The Cause of All Nations: an International History of the American Civil War…takes us through the trajectory of the intellectual and diplomatic international debate that continually evolved as each stage of the Civil War progressed…into a grander narrative about universal human freedom —and progressive enlightenment values—in a global context during the 19th century.
the public debate that was happening in Europe by prominent intellectuals of the day…saw the Civil War as far more than just internal strife between the Confederacy and the Union. They viewed it instead as an epic showdown between democracy and aristocracy. [Exactly like the founding of the Roman Republic.] It was a matter of free versus slave labour, where the winners would decide how the capitalist world would progress in tandem with modernity.
Before 1860 the United States had offered aspiring republicans around the globe a template for how a free, self-governing nation might live in peace and prosperity. And America…thus automatically became, in many European minds, a model country to aspire to when thinking about progressive ideas such as liberty, equality, and self-rule. And with the Civil War, the U.S. seemed to offer to the rest of the world a literal battle between those values and rights.
There is a direct parallel between writing amendments to the Constitutions that strengthened, through centralization, the power of the existing Republican governments in both Washington and Rome during
- the American Civil War resulting from the wealthy plantation owners claiming to right to own slaves
- and the Roman Conflict of the Orders resulting from the wealthy Roman aristocratic landowners claiming the right to enslave indebted plebeians.
A central theme of all recorded history has been the use or abuse of power — how it lurks in the shadows behind the professed idealism of politicians and the compelling reasons they expound when they bring their nations to war. Such words often cloak those who wield political power and redistribute it among themselves as a consequence of success or failure on the battlefield.
It is important in this discussion to emphasize the contrast between “rights” and “powers.” Ironically, many strong reservations about “powers” came from the Northern states during the [Constitutional] ratification debates. The Massachusetts legislature expressed a fear that the Constitution might be interpreted so as to extend the powers of Congress, and Rhode Island proposed a remarkable statement of states’ rights similar in sentiment to that used by Southern secessionists two generations later. Even New England politicians resorted to their rights and threatened secession if their demands were not met. Among the Southern states, the people of Virginia required that the powers granted the national government under the Constitution “be resumed by the states, whensoever the same shall be perverted to their injury or oppression.” Both Thomas Jefferson and James Madison believed that the states were “not united on the principle of unlimited submission to their general government” but reserved “each State to itself, the . . . right to their own self-government…”
- However, the Union victory virtually eviscerated the 10th Amendment [there’s that 10 again] leaving the Federal (national) government with perhaps too much power. The idea of limited federal power was much older than the slavery debates of the nineteenth century and was recognized as an unresolved issue at the time. Would the united states, melted down into one nation, be practicable or consistent with freedom? Is it consistent with freedom today?
The phrase public diplomacy may not have become an official term in the popular press until World War I. But it was during the Civil War that deliberate, state-sponsored programs began attempting to influence the public mind abroad about American foreign policy.
Could these state-sponsored programs to influence the public mind be duplicitous and deceptive? Stay with me as we consider how the Emancipation Proclamation was a whitewash, simply trading one form of slavery for a publicly accepted form.
Although anti-slavery was a prominent reform movement of the period, other causes, such as temperance, women’s rights, religious revival, public education, concerns for the poor, and prison reform, were as zealously pursued by activists. Of these only slavery and disunion became politically charged issues in the antebellum period;
The growth of [Northern] factories forced factory workers to move from the countryside and cluster into housing constructed so rapidly that little consideration was given to public health. Outbreaks of diseases such as cholera and typhoid were common…factory laborers suffered under horrendous working conditions…Factories were damp, filthy, noisy, poorly ventilated and poorly lit. Men, women and children worked extremely long hours for very little pay… under slavery-like conditions…until the 20th century.
The American Civil War resulted in “the complete transformation of the United States into a capitalist power…opening the doors to European immigration by the millions…pushed the United States into first place among industrial powers by 1900 [one generation] outstripping Great Britain.” The bloodshed and number of lives sacrificed – and I use that term intentionally – to make this happen is staggering. “Approximately 625,000 men died in the Civil War, more Americans than in World War I, World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War combined...Two percent of the population died, the equivalent of 6 million men today.“
And the United States continued to outstrip Great Britain through state sponsored programs, culminating in the Lend-Lease Act, a “milestone in the history of US foreign relations.” brought into play when the British Empire managed a desperate lonely stand-off against a Nazi takeover of the world while President Roosevelt kept America out of direct involvement. Instead, President Roosevelt arranged to trade to war-impoverished England and other allies, too war-impoverished to buy, desperately needed military and domestic supplies. What America got in exchange was:
- Access to Britain’s global network of military bases.
- Underwriting of America’s transformation into a military-industrial complex, with, as President Eisenhower warned, “the disastrous rise of misplaced power.”
- Defeat of the Nazi Third Reich with limited loss of American soldiers’ lives, thereby defeating the powerful isolationist politicians at home and winning the majority of Americans to his conviction that Americans can, and must, save the world for democracy.
- Entrance into the war, swooping in at the last minute to claim as spoils of war Germany’s top secret, highly advanced weapons technology.
- “The creation of a new international economic order in the postwar world.”
This strategy resulted in America becoming a militarized nation with highly popular support from its citizens and taking over not just Britain’s economic might but Germany’s scientific and military power, in particular, Nazi rocket science to launch the Space Age,
While obviously highly successful, senate opposition to the Lend-Lease Act correctly foresaw that the bill would “...give the president power to carry on a kind of undeclared war all over the world.”
Going beyond extensive territory, a nominally republican government, and a Roman legacy of culture – language, calendar, architecture – we must recognize the role of the ruler of the Roman Empire as the protector of the State religion.
The most powerful Roman religious leaders for a thousand years was the Pope at Rome, and the Sultan in Constantinople, with the heads of Protestant breakaway countries assuming this role, exemplified, but certainly not exclusively, by Henry VIII of England.
Defender of the Faith was a Roman Catholic title conferred on Henry VIII by Pope Leo X in 1521, later withdrawn but restored by Parliament and used ever since by English sovereigns.
And don’t overlook the non-royal rulers, like Hitler’s Positive Christianity. “Christians in Germany — Protestants even more than Catholics — not only cooperated with the Third Reich, a large percentage even celebrated it.”
What about in America where there is separation of Church and State? Compare the world map of American forces defending democracy with the world map of Christian missionaries. Hello? The American Commander in Chief is the Defender of the Christian Faith.
The United State sent out 127,000 of the world’s estimated 400,000 missionaries abroad in 2010, according to Todd Johnson, director of the Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in Massachusetts.
In distant second place is Brazil, which sent 34,000 missionaries abroad in 2010…
The role of missionaries has changed dramatically…and missionaries today tend to work independently or through organizations not affiliated with churches that traditionally ran missionary agencies. And their work may be focused on providing humanitarian aid rather than founding churches and winning converts…
After World War II, many newly independent countries declared moratoriums on western missionaries, and independent missionaries became more prevalent, said Dana Robert, author of “Christian Mission: How Christianity Became a World Religion.”
And frankly, separation of Church and State is applied when it’s in the State’s interest, and doesn’t when it isn’t.
The Fellowship, also known as The Family and the International Foundation, is a U.S.-based religious and political organizationfounded in 1935 by Abraham Vereide. The stated purpose of The Fellowship is to provide a fellowship forum for decision makers to share in Bible studies, prayer meetings, worship of God, and to experience spiritual affirmation and support.
The Fellowship has been described as one of the most politically well-connected and most secretly-funded ministries in the United States. They shun publicity and its members share a vow of secrecy. The Fellowship’s former leader, the late Douglas Coe, and others have explained the organization’s desire for secrecy by…insisting they would not be able to tackle diplomatically sensitive missions if they drew public attention…
Fellowship member and Watergate conspirator Charles Colson described the group as a “veritable underground of Christ’s men all through the U.S. government…” “The Fellowship’s reach into governments around the world is almost impossible to overstate or even grasp,” says David Kuo, a former special assistant in George W. Bush’s [administration].
And how do we miss the legacy of Roman culture in Christianity?
The Pantheon, which means “temple of every god”, has been in continuous use throughout its history. Built during the reign of Augustus Caesar, it was converted to a Christian church in the 7th century. To this day, English and American Christian church buildings around the world are modeled after classic Greco-Roman temples.
What is this telling us?
The Apotheosis of Washington – literally, the deification (or god-making) of Washington. The fresco depicts Washington as Zeus on a throne in heaven surrounded by various gods and goddesses from classical mythology. Painted on the ceiling of the dome of the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. during the Civil War by Vatican artist Constantino Brumidi.
The similarities between pagan idols and monuments to our national leaders cannot be coincidental. Do you really think Satan is just sitting out history on the sidelines? Wouldn’t we expect him to be wherever the greatest power is concentrated?
Both statues of Washington and Lincoln were deliberately modeled after Zeus, with Washington’s entitled “Enthroned Washington” and Lincoln’s placed in a monument expressly modeled after one of Zeus’ temples and defined as a temple on the plaque above Lincoln’s head. The timing and association of these images of Zeus is no accident of history.
“And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write…I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is...where Satan dwelleth. But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.” (Revelation 2:12-14)
Asklepion is an ancient healing complex located at the base of the Pergamon acropolis in Turkey built in honour of Asklepios, god of healing…The site…was founded in the 4 th Century BC around a sacred spring that still flows…it became one of the best-known healing centres of the ancient world, second in importance only to Epidaurus in Greece and was also the world’s first psychiatric hospital…
According to ancient myth, the god Asklepios had the power to raise people from the dead and he himself was restored to life by Zeus: for this reason he was thought to also have a snake form. Tame snakes were kept in his temples…
Treatments included psychotherapy, massage, herbal remedies, mud and bathing treatments, surgeries and the drinking of water, which were prescribed according to what dreams the patient had experienced – it was believed that dreams recounted a visit by the god Asklepios, who held the key to curing all illness.
Following the political transfer of power, the religious seat of Satan’s dynasty moved West from Babylon to Pergamon at the Roman Altar of Zeus.
The greatest example of Hellenistic Greek sculpture, the colossal Altar of Zeus at Pergamon…is a monumental work built…about 166 to 156 BCE. The altar is adorned with a 370-foot long marble frieze which depicts the Gigantomachy from Greek mythology. Like the Parthenon in Athens – another icon of classical antiquity – the Zeus Altar was constructed on a terrace of the acropolis overlooking the ancient city of Pergamon…in Asia Minor. However, unlike the Parthenon, it was not a temple but merely an altar…achieving excitement, wild movement and strong feeling…9-foot high frieze is alive with huge figures of gods and giants locked in mortal combat…carved in such high relief that they were almost detached from the background…portray the mythical victory of Zeus and the Gods over the Giants…All that remains of this extraordinary work of art – arguably the greatest narrative relief in the history of sculpture – is part of the Berlin Collection of Classical Antiquities, and can be seen at the Pergamon Museum, Staatliche Museen, Berlin.
It provided the model for Hitler’s Zeppelin tribune, the megalithic grandstand for Nazi political rallies raising to power the man who took the reigns of power from the Kaiser.
I assume we don’t have a problem following a trail that leads from Zeus’ seat at Pergamon to Berlin and connects Satan to Hitler. Are we willing to keep following the trail even if it leads to an admired political leader…or a city in our own country? If “Bible believers” really believe that Daniel’s fourth world empire, the Roman, stays in power until the Rock returns and destroys it, we should be able to see it even when it is hiding in plain sight.
Paul’s revelation of that the elected official of an ostensibly Republican form of government was in reality an undercover tyrant who held the title of Commander-in-Chief, controlled the Senate and Assembly through alliances with elected representatives and veto power, controlled the decisions of the Judicial branch of the government, and allied with the most powerful religious faction of the nation should be a flashing red siren to current readers.
The federal government grew enormously in power and prestige, particularly the office of the President. Abraham Lincoln’s assertion of the “war powers” of the President has been used (abused) consistently by his successors to spread American “democracy”. And which red-blooded American can argue against that most noble of objectives?
Our presidents don’t have constitutional authority to start a war, so they just don’t declare war. They just wage it. There are only five times Congress declared war:
- War of 1812
- Mexican-American War 1846
- Spanish-American War 1898
- The War to End All Wars 1914
- World War II beginning 1939 with America entering in 1941
Does that come as a surprise, given America’s lead role in the permanent state of world conflict since World War II? Naming just the significant officially undeclared but officially named wars, American has been involved in the
- Mexican Revolution of 1914
- Russian Civil War of 1918
- Korean War 1950 – 1953 among the most destructive conflicts of the modern era, with approximately 3 million war fatalities, a larger proportional civilian death toll than World War II or the Vietnam War, thousands of massacres by both sides, the destruction of virtually all of Korea’s major cities as one of the most heavily bombed countries in history.
- Vietnam War 1964-1973
- Persian Gulf War 1991
- War in Afghanistan 2001-ongoing
- Iraq War 2003-2011, with emergence of ISIS as a direct result.
It appears that the President of the United States is the greatest change agent the world has yet known, bringing about the new world order.
I realize that accusing the US President of being antichrist is only acceptable when he leads the opposition party. Let’s put party preferences aside. There is only one true savior, but there are many antichrists. Both presidential candidates can be deceiving us. Prophecy provides the ID badges for both Christ and Antichrist. Any leader who promises to solve problems by changing circumstances and defeating an external enemy is a false savior. We’ve had the abysmally failed War on Poverty, the War on Drugs, The War on Terror, none of which puts responsibility on the individual. The true savior and his representatives preach that the problem is sinful human nature and the real solution is the transformation by individuals to a holy nature empowering changed behavior.